Chapter 3- The Autopsy...

(MENTIONS/DESCRIBES MURDER, GUN TRIGGER WARNING)
I twist and turn my beautiful Emerald ring Lauren gifted me a few years ago on my finger as i brood.

Three months.

Three months it's been since we put in the file for the autopsy report, because the first one we sent out was misplaced.

Pathologists work slower when it comes to cold cases. Rude.

"If any of Victor's DNA was on the body, surely the forensics would have found it." Andy says.

"I just want the most evidence we can get. If i was Lauren, i'd sue Thames Valley Police for their sloppy work."

"I guess you have a point. We know for a fact someone who was in that house had a gun, Victors arm was definitely shot, and Melanie had a clear wound to the head."

"We don't know that Victor got his wound from the night of the murder. The neighbour's said that they only heard one gunshot."

"Ricochet?"

"Not likely."

My assistant Holly comes in with an envelope, "Letter for you, Miss Alton. Came yesterday."

"Thank you, Holly." i rip open the seal with a crippling determination, pulling out the report.

"Yes! Haha! You finally came!"

"Title of your sex tape." i roll my eyes vastly.

"We're not the NYPD, And."

"Whatever, Santiago." i kick his penguin legs, and i examine the letter up close.

Not much information...but there was something we missed.

"Wait...it says that there was pieces of Euryops pectinatus in her nose, mouth and eyes."

"And that is...?"

"It's a fancy name for Bush Daisies...do you remember in Thorne's greenhouse those few years ago?..."

————————————————————————
"These looks pretty. What are they called?"

"Bush daisies, i think."

"Oh, shit! My dad said i'm allergic to them!"
————————————————————————

I pace the length of my office, coming up with a theory, "What if Melanie Thorne was allergic to Bush Daisies too?"

"But the gunshot wound-"

"Maybe...maybe the forensic team didn't have a murder weapon because it was an allergy."

"Where are you going with this, boss?"

"We know for a fact that Victor and Melanie were shot. The neighbours heard a gunshot the night of Melanie's murder..."

"It had to be aimed for her. The autopsy would have said how long she was shot before or after her murder, so she had to have died of that."

"Think, think, think...we know the burglary didn't happen. The police didn't come, remember? His personal security team came. They'd say anything to have their bosses back for a pay rise. The only fuzzy part is when did Victor get shot."

"Okay, let's think about this logically. Say Melanie was killed by the Bush Daisies. Victor killed her with a gun because the Bush Daisies didn't do it, and maybe Melanie retaliated when she was alive by shooting Victor in the arm?"

"You're forgetting the fact that the neighbours only heard one gunshot. Ugh! Why is this so hard?!"

I stomp down onto my desk chair, spinning around internally. We're gonna be here for a long time.

I must've fallen asleep. Damn. I look over at my office clock; it reads 00:06.

I better call Lauren and apologise for my late shift. I pick up my phone and give her a ring.

"I think someone has some explaining to do." i bite my lip nervously. Lauren can be scary when she's in domme mode.

"I'm sorry...i- i got caught up with this case...i know i should have been home hours ago-"

"Yes, you should've. Max is not a happy boy."

"I'll be home soon, promise." i hang up before i can get told off again.

Andy left a while ago, he's got kids himself. The missus wouldn't have been happy if he spent the night working, just as mine isn't.

I lock up my office and the Department floor, and make my way downstairs.

I open the front door to the house as quietly as possible, closing it with the same volume of sound.

I switch the hallways light on with a flick, and notice a note on the stump of the bannister,

~ Come to the dungeon ~

Holy shit.

🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥
Hey there everyone, i hope you enjoyed :)

I've decided to split up this chapter because the next one is over 1700 words, but i promise it'll be worth it 😉

I didn't want it to be exceedingly long, which it would have been if i continuted this one <3

So i'll upload this part and the following one tomorrow instead of "The Pansexual Misfit..." as a treat! And because i'm so excited to release it 😂

Keeping reading <3 x