Chapter 15- A Break From Reality...

(SMUT WHEN YOU SEE THE '*' LINE)
It's been a week since Max and Luka's park date. I attempt to juggle Max in my arms, along with a report the courts asked me to sign. He's refused to let me put him down even for a second ever since our talk.

"Mummy, why are we at the nasty courthouse today?"

"Because a nice lady is gonna ask us some questions about our life. I know you don't like this place, but it'll only be for a little bit. Can you do it for mummy? We'll only be an hour."

He inclines politely. I couldn't have asked for a better child.

Even when i set him down on the floor, her grabs onto my leg, grasping tightly. "Hey, Max buddy."

Connor squats down and fist bumps Max lightly. "What now?" i ask.

"Luka is in there having his assessment. When he comes out, you're up."

"Got it. Here's the form i was told to fill out. You'd think me being the Head of a Police Department would make filling out forms easy but when it determines your child's future it's not exactly like looking at a homicide."

"No one ever said this was gonna be easy."

I've never been more thankful to have Connor on this case. Who better to fight for your family than someone you've known since birth?

"Max, when mummy goes, you're in that room there, kid."

"Mummy coming with me?" i sadly shake my head 'no'. "I'm sure they'll have some really nice toys for you to play with, and mummy will only be a few minutes." i kneel down and take out my phone. I set a timer for 20 minutes and show Max, "When mummy goes in that room, i want you to press that button there. When mummy's phone makes a loud beeping noise, that means you'll get to see her. I'm sure the time will just fly by. Okay?"

"Yes, mummy...i bell-ive you..." i kiss his cheek fondly, before the sound of a door hinge clicking pulls us apart.

Luka emerges from the room with a cocky grin on his face, Rebecca in tow. "I just had my interview, it went very well." i keep a neutral look on my face as Luka ruffles Max's hair fatherly. Remind me to wash his head when we get home.

"Hey, buddy! You excited to spend the day with your old man?" ah yes, i forgot to mention. Rebecca managed to squirm her way into the judges good books to allow Luka a day to spend with Max.

A law guardian will be supervising them, but i still don't trust whatever Luka has up his sleeve.

All Max does is tip his head kindly 'yes'. I've told him he doesn't have to like dad, but he has to be polite. And he's doing a damn good better job than i am.

I anxiously placate myself onto a spare chair, shaking viciously. "Good morning, Emma. How are you?" i tremble and shake for the next half an hour until i release myself from the room in complete relief.

Max hugs my calve when i emerge from the room, "Hey little guy! I told you i wouldn't be long, didn't i?" he simply nods and makes grabby hands upwards, signaling he wants me to pick him up.

I hoist his small frame into my arms and kiss his cheek. "Mummy loves you, Max."

"Love you too, mummy..."

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

It took ages to convince Max to go to sleep in his own bed. Lauren wanted a night just for us, and who am i to deny what she most desires?

After enough fiddling with our clothes in heaping determination to get rid of them at the dinner table, we make it upstairs. Lauren guides me back up into the landing of our house as she kisses along my collarbone. I let my head fall back to grant her better access...