IX . neighbors

Angelo was a very stubborn fella. You had learned that harsh lesson a couple of times through the course of the few hours you spent with him. He was always undeterred, even when faced with a good argument, he likewise had a witty quip.

So that was how you ended up here. Following him back to his place. Technically you could've ran. You know he wouldn't pursue. He was an easy read.

Why, exactly, were you following him again?

... You didn't know.

It felt like you didn't know a lot of things when it came to Angelo. An awful feeling, really. What was worse of a feeling, was how that instinctual attraction hadn't faded.

You supposed that's why you trusted him so easily.

Stupid, really. How the heart could convince the brain so willingly.

Still, you were unnerved. "Hey, you said we were headed to your place, right?" You questioned him after seeing familiar street signs and other landmarks.

"Hm? Yes, of course. Why?" He looked at you with a simple smile resting on his features.

"This route is familiar." Familiar, of course, from all those trips to the gas station for food. The prices there were better than at the local grocery store. Not to mention closer.

"Ah, well, that's to be expected, right? If you live on campus, of course the routes will feel familiar." Angelo countered with a small shrug.

You guessed that made sense.

Until the two of you arrived at your apartment complex. A chill began to race down you spine, and you could never break your gaze away from Angelo for long. He took notice, obviously, but didn't voice any concerns.

Then, then you appeared right in front of your apartment door.

"What the fuck." You managed out, beginning to step away. Angelo looked over at you, tilting his head.

"What's wrong?"

"This is my apartment!" You hissed, pointing an accusatory finger towards your door. "How the fuck do you know where I live?!"

Angelo fell silent for a solid few seconds.

"This is where you live?" He questioned in return.

"Don't play dumb!"

Angelo wished he was.

What awful living conditions... Angelo had struggled to find a place, what with not technically being alive much less having funds or understanding how this new world worked...

But why were you here? In this cheap, rundown apartment complex? Clearly infested with rats chasing after roaches.

He loathed to think of why.

Clearing his throat, Angelo turned away from your fuming self. He pulled out a key and put it into the lock on the door next to yours. On your left.

Then, suddenly, the anger began to dissolve. You were still freaked the fuck out, but at least you knew the two of you were here because he lived right next door.

"It must be fate." Angelo told you as he pushed the door open, smiling warmly. "That we're neighbors, I mean."