VIII . an awful target, really

Angelo shifted his gaze over to what was in the aisles... He didn't recognize any of it. "What would you recommend?" Angelo asked.

"Mmm..." You pursed your lips. Immediately after, you began to grab a few things. Some candy and drinks, two of each. One for you, one for him. Or Angelo assumed.

Then the two of you were off to the registers. There he recognized some cigarette brands and narrowed his eyes at the way they were locked away.

"Good evening." The person at the counter greeted you both in a mumble. "This all?" He asked. You confirmed halfheartedly. So he began to scan through it all. The beeping made Angelo fix his posture.

You opened your bag to grab your card, paying for the food and drinks easily. The man bagged your things and finally looked up. That's when he took pause. Even when you held your hand out for the bag, he didn't move.

Angelo gritted his teeth, clenching his jaw. He recognized that look in the man's eyes... It seemed you did too, though you weren't so obvious about it.

"Bag, please?" You hummed. That brought the man back to reality. He handed it over.

"Hey, uh..."

Angelo wrapped his arm around you easily. "C'mon, let's go home babe. You have a good night." Angelo rose a hand to wave goodbye as he began to leave with you in his arms.

He was a lucky man. He was such a lucky man.

Any other guy, any other moment, and you would've clocked him without a second thought. Flirting was nothing compared to invading your personal space.

The two of you got out the door before you shoved him away. "I didn't need your help." You hissed at him. "I didn't want it either. Especially not when it came with uncalled for physical contact." Angelo watched you closely while you spoke.

How adorable. He would've been so fucked if he'd been anybody else.

"Ah... Sorry." Angelo smiled innocently. "I panicked, I suppose. I wanted to make sure he backed off completely. We wouldn't want somebody else trailing us, right?"

You scowled. "Don't do it again."

"I hear you loud and clear."

"Good."

Silence fell between you two. Only for a little while though. Angelo figured out he quite hated being denied the right to hear your voice.

"Where to now?" Angelo questioned.

"... I don't know."

It wasn't like you trusted Angelo enough to bring him back to your place. Honestly, all of this was to rid yourselves of the person trailing you. Why did you buy him snacks again?

"Then... Back to mine?" Angelo suggested. You paused.

"Are you an idiot?" The blunt question left your lips before you'd had a second to process it.

He laughed though. "Maybe. Why do you think that?"

"You invited a girl you just met back to your place. That's how a good number of true crime cases start." You continued to be blunt, your eyes narrowing.

The man before you seemed to be considering it. "... Yes, maybe... But why would I go through all the trouble of getting rid of your uninvited escort, just to do something horrible to you myself?"

"Because you wanted to gain my trust."

He laughed again.

"A good point." Angelo nodded. "But now, then, why would I choose you as my target?"

"Huh?"

"You're popular." Angelo gestured over his shoulder. "Loud, and quick witted. An awful target, really."

You frowned. An awful target...