☆ 𝐩𝐫𝗼𝐥𝗼𝐠𝐮𝐞 ☆

2009

"awsten, will you please tell me where you're taking me?" i asked my boyfriend again. he laughed.

"no, i already told you that it's a surprise." he replied. i rolled my eyes.

"and i already told you that i hate surprises." i shot back.

"we'll be there in just a minute. don't worry, you'll love this."

i played with the strings dangling from my ripped jeans while he drove. i had no possible idea of where he was taking me and him driving through the woods wasn't very assuring to me.

"you're not gonna like, kill me with a hatchet and bury me in the woods are you?" i half joked. he laughed again.

"yes, definitely. i'm totally gonna kill my childhood best friend two months after she finally agreed to be my girlfriend when i've been in love with her since we were 13." awsten joked. i shook my head.

"i had to ask okay! it's just a little suspicious that you're driving me in woods without telling me where we're going."

"well you don't have to wonder anymore because we're about to be there in like 30 seconds."

he then pulled into a field of flowers and tall grass. it was a meadow. it was beautiful.

"oh my gosh, aws, it's beautiful." i gushed. he smirked.

"thought you'd like it." he said, parking. we got out and he went into his trunk and grabbed a blanket.

we walked out to the meadow and awsten layed the blanket out on the grass and we sat down on it.

"this is nice." i said. awsten smiled.

"i'm glad you think so. i just...wanted to do something nice.  i'm really glad we're together now and even two months later i still feel like i don't deserve you." he told me. i smiled and brushed his fringe away from his eye so i could see his whole face.

"you deserve me. we deserve each other. i'm so glad that i'm yours." i said. he then leaned in and kissed me passionately.

we spent the next few hours just talking about our lives and spending time together. i cherished it because i knew it would soon come to an end. which was something i was putting off telling awsten the entire day. although, i knew i couldn't put it off forever.

"y/n?" awsten questioned, while i layed my head on his shoulder, watching the sunset.

"yes, awsten?" i replied. he inhaled.

"do you think we're gonna be together forever? like, i know we just started dating two months ago but we've been friends since kindergarten and i've always felt connected to you."

i felt my stomach drop. i wanted to say yes. i wanted us to be together forever. but i couldn't lie to him.

"awsten, i have to tell you something." i said. i sat up so that we were face to face.

"what is it? is everything okay?" he asked me.

"i'm moving away in august...to connecticut."

he was silent for a few moments, a frown taking over his face.

"why now? i mean, we just have another year left of high school and then we're adults, why can't your parents wait until then to move? then you wouldn't have to go and you could stay." awsten finally spoke. i frowned even more, as i originally had the same idea. but my parents shut me down.

"i know, but my parents want to move now and have me do my senior year there. it's so stupid. connecticut is so far away from texas." i said.

"i'm going to miss you so much, y/n. i don't know what i'll do without you."

awsten pulled me into a hug and i hugged him tightly. neither of us let go for a few moments. i didn't even know what to say next.

"hey," i said, finally pulling away. "we still have two months until i move. we can make the most of it this summer. spend all of our time together."

"yeah, that sounds great. i'm just dreading having you move almost 2,000 miles away." awsten told me. i nodded.

"we can make it work though. i know we can."

"are you sure?"

"i'm positive. people do long distance all the time, how hard can it be?"

2019

i walked into starbucks and let out an exasperated sigh. it had been a long day of working and i was glad that i could grab a coffee and just sit down and finally breathe.

the diner was especially busy that day. thankfully on wednesdays we only did breakfast so i was out by noon, but there were so many customers that i was just burnt out.

i ordered my coffee and they gave it to me within about five minutes. i grabbed it and then found a table in the corner by the window. i liked the window view, it was nice.

i sat down and took a sip of my coffee. peace at last.

"y/n?"

i looked up and nearly spit out my coffee.