Chapter Thirty-two: Semi-normal Life

"I'm home, Jack." I called out as I closed the door to the house, setting my keys and bag down on the table. "Jack?"

    "Up here." Jack answered from upstairs.

    I walked up the steps and saw the light on in the nursery, opening the door and seeing Kelly was fast asleep on Jack's chest, a book of fairytales in Jack's hands as he continued to read aloud.

    "I think Kelly's asleep, Jack." I said as I entered the nursery, taking a seat on the soft-carpeted floor.

    "I'm getting to the good part of Sleeping Beauty." He said to me.

    I smiled softly and sat back and listened as he finished up the fairytale, closing the book and getting up, setting the book on the chair and laying Kelly down in her crib, pulling the hand-knit quilt Jody made around her.

    "You worked late today." Jack said as we walked out of the nursery and turned off the light, closing the door.

    "Yeah. One of the waitresses wasn't feeling well, so I had to cover her shift as well," I answered as we walked into our room at the end of the hall. "Have you heard anything from Heaven?"

    "No. It's all silent. I told Elijah that if anything happens that I need to take care of, he can come down to Earth and tell me." he answered, closing the door.

"That's good. Because, honestly, I love that you're running Heaven, but I hate it when you leave me." I said, the two of us changing into our pajamas before I sat on the bed.

"I'm not leaving you or Kelly again." he said as he sat beside me, wrapping his arms around my waist and kissing my cheek.

I smiled and leaned into his arms, putting my hands over his as they held me securely to his chest. "I missed you while you were gone."

"I missed you every day I was apart from you. But at least you had Sam and Dean." he answered.

"Yeah....but it wasn't the same without my husband there." I said with a light sigh, covering up a yawn.

"Tired?"

"I can stay up." I replied.

"Anna, you worked late today. Get some sleep." Jack said, laying me against the mattress and pulling the covers over my shoulders.

"Can you stay tonight?" I asked Jack.

Jack smiled and got under the covers, wrapping me in his arms and letting me move closer to him, his chin resting on my head as he rubbed my back soothingly. "Rest. I'll keep you both safe."

💠💠💠

I woke up to the bright morning sun shining through the blinds of our room and onto the bed, temporarily blinding me.

    Getting up and stretching, I walked out of our room and peeled into the open door of the nursery, the crib empty; heading downstairs and smelling bacon frying in the kitchen.

    "Good morning, sunshine," Jack said with a smile once he saw me, kissing my temple and rubbing my back as I walked over to him. "Did you sleep well?"

    "Yeah." I smiled at him and was hit in the back of the head with a plastic spoon, loud laughter filling the room.

    "Hi, Mommy!" Kelly squealed happily from her high chair.

    "Hi, sweetie," I walked over to her and picked her up in my arms. "were you good for Daddy?"

    "Yeah!" she nodded and waved at her father. "Hi, Daddy!"