"Trust me, Kaitlin."

I deleted this entire chapter and started it again. FML. It's short. I hate my life. AHAHAH. 

The first meeting 

Kaitlin had spent longer than she'd like to admit getting ready for her one-on-one session with her professor, Christian. Adam was in more of a rush than he'd like to admit to even get there on time. He'd spent his afternoon marking exam after exam. 

When he arrived he found Kaitlin sat near the back of the café. He took his time walking towards her, trying to figure out how to say hello, and trying to figure out how to not be awkward about this. It felt... wrong. 

"Hi!" Kaitlin noticed him, sending him a slight wave from where she sat. Adam smiled back, a very slight smile. He took his blazer of when he got closer and put it around the back of the chair opposite to her. "I ordered us two cappuccinos? I hope that that's alright." She adds, softly. 

Adam glanced over his shoulder at the woman behind the counter of the café, already making those cappuccinos. He wasn't a fan of cappuccinos. "That's perfect, yes. Thank you." He looked back towards her, taking his seat now. 

They fell silent for a few moments. Adam looked over his student for a few short seconds whilst she had her eyes on the notepad sitting before her. She looked different. She looked sad, and she was trying to hide it. "Is everything okay?" He placed his forearms on the table, clasping his hands together atop it. 

Adam waited for her eyes to find his, but they didn't. 

Something was wrong. 

And he didn't need to tune into his detective skills to figure it out; it was serious. "Kaitlin." He breathed. Kaitlin seemed to stop breathing for a second. Her shoulders didn't rise, nor did they fall. Adam instinctively reached across, placing his hand atop the table on top of her notes. The notes that she was pretending to read. 

He watched her eyes close when they landed on his hand. 

"Kaitlin." He tried again. 

And then slowly, her gaze drifted tiredly to his. Bloodshot and glossy. Adam tilted his head to the side, waiting for her to want to talk. She said nothing though. Her bottom lip quivered and her eyes shut again. Head dropping. 

Adam nodded to himself, letting out a shaky breathe. "Okay." He muttered, mostly to himself. "Do you want to stay here? Do you want to go for a walk?" He tried to figure out how to help her without her having to talk about whatever it was that was upsetting her. 

He wasn't good at this. 

Communicating. 

Talking. 

Trying to understand...

To be sympathetic. 

Helpful, even. 

Kaitlin shakes her head and a small whimper escapes her mouth. Adam takes his hand back when the waitress makes her way to the table. Kaitlin turns her head away slightly. Adam looks up at the woman. "Thank you." He says when she places the two cups on the table. 

"Would you like anything else?" 

"No." Adam replies sharply. "Thank you." He adds, sending the woman a nod.

The lady left and then the two were left alone again. They were sat in a quiet corner of the room. Kaitlin had picked it out so that they could concentrate, but as soon as she had ordered the coffee, she'd gotten a phone call from hell. 

Adam wasn't sure how to attack this. "We need to do the work." he begins. "I want to help you first, please let me help you." He soothes, his voice was calming and low. He wasn't ordering her, nor was he rushing her answer. 

He genuinely was trying. 

Kaitlin's gaze shot to his. "It's nothing important." She lies, frowning. 

Adam raised a brow. "We've already discovered that you're not the greatest at lying, Miss Love." He teased, and she chuckled slightly. Kaitlin wiped her eyes and then looked across at him once more. 

Kaitlin felt rather comfortable with her professor. 

She let out a long breath.

"Just boy trouble." She agonizes. The breathiness that came out with those words made Adam wonder what Lewis had done this time. "Boys are asses." She mutters to herself. Adam raises a singular brow but doesn't punish her for the language. After all, they weren't on campus and she was an adult. 

Adam nods though, taking a small sip of his cappuccino. "I agree completely." He chuckles. "What has he done now?" He wonders out loud, placing down his mug. His arms cross and he leans back into the noisy, wooden chair. 

Kaitlin glares across at him, narrowing her brows. "He?" She pretends to act as if he doesn't know who she's upset about. 

Adam raises a brow. "I don't know. A certain skinny kid who doesn't know how to treat a woman with a single ounce of respect?" He smirks when her eyes widen. "Sound familiar?" He teases. Kaitlin rolls her eyes and sighs, quickly looking over the top of his build. The table covered the bottom half. He was broad shouldered and had perfectly muscled arms and chest. 

Kaitlin shrugs, eyes finding his. "Not sure." She lies. 

"Would you like me to paint a better picture?" He wonders. 

Kaitlin says nothing, she only nods. 

A slow nod. 

"Okay." Adam takes in a sharp breath. "This boy doesn't know how to treat a woman who is there for him. He doesn't know that one night she was crying after a fight with him, on the floor, outside of the east building on campus... He doesn't know that her professor had to fix what he broke." Adam continued. 

The words just spilling out. 

Things felt different here. 

There was no rules; or at least, they couldn't feel those rules. 

Kaitlin stared across at him. 

"Sound familiar now?" Adam whispers, his voice low and a whisper of a husk. 

Kaitlin nods. "Yes." She swallowed. 

Adam broke the eye contact and glanced down at her  notepad. "Open up." He nodded down at it and she obeyed his orders. "You mentioned you struggled with the confidence?" He asked before taking another gulp of his cappucino. 

Kaitlin nodded. "Yeah." She told him. 

"Tell me everything you know. Tell me with your eyes on mine and your chin high and your voice strong." Adam unfolded his arms, wiping his hands on his trouser pants. "I don't want you to look down at the notes. I don't want you to look down at the table, at the wall behind my head. I want your eyes on mine when you tell me." He ordered, gently. 

Kaitlin stared at him, dumbfounded. 

"Trust me, Kaitlin. Okay?" His voice was smooth, and angelic to her. 

Slowly, and without thinking, she nodded. 

She trusted him.