1

Jungkook hurried down the wet sidewalk, stuffing his hands in his pockets as the sprinkling rain started to come down harder.

The lights of the neon signs from the buildings around him shone on the forming puddles, their image rippling as the boys black boots stomped over them.

The evening air was freezing, and Jungkook pulled his leather jacket tighter around himself.

It was nearly one in the morning and he was the only one around. As a student attending the local university, he was up late working on his essay that was due soon, and was just heading back from the 24/7 convenience store from buying some ramen.

He thought he heard a soft noise and paused, listening to the rain pouring down.

The night was quiet, and he carried on, thinking about what his conclusion for his paper would be.

There it came again- a pitiful cry. So high pitched that it was almost out of the frequency for humans to hear.

Jungkook stopped, looking around the dark street. The last streetlight was a few yards behind him, and it was hard to see.

"Hello?" He called, pulling out his phone to turn on the flashlight. "Is someone there?"

The only thing around him was a dark alley and Jungkook hesitated at the entrance of it. It was a dangerous hour and this could be a trap for some kind of human slavery ring or something. He should just hurry back to his apartment.

He stepped back, about to turn and run when the noise came again, as well as the sound of a metal can hitting the ground.

Jungkook jumped, seeing a small open can of tomato sauce rolling slightly before coming to a stop. Something white was wiggling inside, making muffled noises.

Was it an animal? Stuck?

Jungkook hurried over, setting down his bag of ramen and picked up the can. It was light, even with the animal inside, and he carefully upturned the can over his palm.

The wriggling white bundle of fur hovered for a moment, before falling out of the can with a plop, landing in Jungkook's hand.

Jungkook was shocked at the tiny size of the puppy. Its fur was all white, though it was covered in dirt, mud and streaks of red sauce.

"Oh...you poor little thing." Jungkook murmured forgetting all about the freezing rain that was soaking him. "Are you a stray?"

There was no collar on the pup, who was running in circles on Jungkook's hand, its little paws barely denting the skin from how light it was.

"You must be starving." Jungkook noticed. "Is that why you were in that can?"

"Arf!" The tiny thing barked, high pitched. "A-arf!"

Its tail wagged.

Well, there was no way Jungkook could leave it to die in this alley. He could bring it home and clean it up and feed it, and then in the morning bring it in to the local vet and see if it was chipped.

He hoped the family of this puppy would be able to sleep tonight without too much worry for their dog, but then also they should have watched it better. It was clearly too little to be left on its own, especially outside.

"Do you have brothers and sisters around?" Jungkook asked rhetorically, searching around the alley for any more little white puppies.

After ten minutes of searching and getting absolutely drenched, the boy concluded there were no siblings and he held the little puppy up to eye level to get a better look.