Extras II · Sri Lankan Folklore

The Black Prince (කළු කුමාරයා Kalu Kumaraya) was an ancient Sri Lankan prince

The Black Prince (කළු කුමාරයා Kalu Kumaraya) was an ancient Sri Lankan prince. He was greedy, hedonistic and drunk on power. He also stalked girls. He plotted to kill his father and steal the kingdom. When he failed, he took his own life.

The prince was cursed to roam the Earth as a demon. His bad habits persisted, and he started haunting girls. He appears as a dark, handsome young man. After luring his victims with his good looks, he kills them by slitting their throats. Other times, he possesses them, which causes them to manifest physical changes and unexplained injuries.

This is the original tale.

Sri Lanka is rich in ghost lore, haunted places, superstitions and traditional ghostbusters

Sri Lanka is rich in ghost lore, haunted places, superstitions and traditional ghostbusters. Folklore has merged elements from Buddhism and Hinduism, and there are variations depending on the province. Some beliefs and practices are highly prevalent in rural villages.

There are types of spirits, both good and bad. The higher spirits are the ones called "gods", and Hindu deities are venerated as well. The story universe I've built will not include gods, since that would involve deities from a world religion.

There are two main types of demon (යකා yaka):

1. Malevolent demons: Since their king has forbidden them to directly kill humans, they resort to other means of inflicting suffering. They feast on offerings made to appease them, as well as carnage, disease and misery. However, they cannot actually eat these, so it is unknown exactly how they sustain themselves. They are said to have protruding eyes, hanging lips and teeth like sickles. Sometimes they wear venomous snakes, especially cobras. They are invisible to humans, but can become visible by taking human or animal forms.

2. Peaceful demons: They are called dewatawas—a word used to refer to both lesser gods and higher demons. These demons are not hideous, and they live in fancy palaces high up in the sky. They are wise, powerful and do not pose a threat to humans. These demons are said to be golden-hued and eat ambrosial food.

The malevolent demons are sub-divided into four, depending on what they crave—bili (sacrifices), bali (offerings), revelry and inflicting death (such as a fatal disease).