9 | CHRONICLE

The Chronicle of Yama (589 BE)
Part 17

Day after day, through rain and shine, Yama journeyed through the wilderness. Drawing upon his vast knowledge of ayurveda, he sustained himself with wild fruit, roots and mushrooms. However, time was of the essence, and nature's bounty grew scarcer as he neared the plains where Mount Meru resided. His stamina wore down with time, but not his will, for he was descended from the King of Lions.

On the fifth day, he came upon a lake that stretched as far as the eye could see. It was the annular lake that he knew from word of mouth. With no way of crossing, Yama succumbed to his weariness. Darkness followed close on his heels, sent by his nemesis, the Great Demon, who was always watching, and at the first sign of weakness, dozens of demons closed in, fangs bared and eyes red. Their forms were hideous enough to strike terror into the bravest of hearts. Yet, Yama was not to be defeated. He mustered up his strength and repelled each and every one of them. Finally, they retreated into the shadows.

When night fell, Yama sought shelter in a cave, though he dared not sleep. He fortified his temporary abode and chanted many verses. The Great Demon sent more of his minions, playing tricks to lure him out. They even offered him wealth, women and power, but he could not be swayed.

Yama awoke at dawn, which painted the lake pink and gold, and he wished for his vehicle, with which he could cross over to the far bank. He could attempt to build a rudimentary vessel, but time was of the essence. Every minute he delayed, more of his city fell to the voracious appetite of the demon army.

As fate would have it, this land was home to none other than the makaras—beasts of immense size and strength. As Yama wandered along the shoreline, he glimpsed the very first of them, rising through the water. It was bigger than a dozen elephants and its scales shimmered so bright it was hard to gaze upon the creature for long. He watched in awe as it unfurled its wings and took to the skies. Despite the danger, Yama did not hide. He called out in greeting.

The makara swooped down to attack Yama, fire spewing from its mouth, but he stood his ground. The show of bravery swayed the beast, and its wild fury subsided.

"Will thou take me across the lake, O magnificent one?" Yama asked.

However, it took an entire day to win the animal's trust. Yama became the first human to befriend the makaras, though cityfolk would attribute it to the blood of the Lion that flowed in his veins.

Finally, the makara gave him a ride to the opposite bank.

Ancient trees formed a tight-knit barrier, and in the distance, this forest soared up into Mount Meru. Clouds swathed it in gloom and mystery, and the towering peak grazed the skies. This was the abode of the Asuras, the titans that could carve tunnels through stone and forge tools of incomparable strength. If there was a weapon that could strike the Great Demon, it lay in this very mountain.

No man had ventured into the subterranean city of the Asuras, but Yama was determined to see his quest to the end. He navigated his way through the forest, but not before hanging a branch on the low-hanging boughs of a mother tree.

"I call upon thee, spirits of this forest." Yama kneeled down. "I come here not to plunder, but to seek that which will help me end the demon terror in my land."

Perhaps it was due to this gesture of respect, the forest guided him in the right path. If the rumors were true, the entrance was to the east, warmed by the rising sun.

There were many creatures that eyed him with caution, their forms shrouded in shadow. Yama, now worn and ravenous, only paused to sip the dew that dripped from the leaves. The olden monks preached that life must be preserved and convinced the king himself to stop his hunt—a principle that was passed down for generations. Yama adhered to the First Precept and refused to kill, and his will of iron spurred him to reach his goal.