RECAP

This is a skippable recap chapter that might be useful to Wattpaders reading over a long period of time! I started writing this in October 2022, after all.

MAIN EVENTS SUMMARY

..................

Hevana city is experiencing heightened supernatural activity such as hauntings and missing girls, reminiscent of the Great Haunting—a period of intense supernatural activity 2,271 years ago (now dismissed as a historical tragedy brought on by disease and natural disasters). During this time, King Mayadunne ruled Hevana. He is renowned for his skill and benevolence.

✨ At this time, Polon was one of Hevana's neighboring kingdoms, and it was ruled by a despotic king. Diyan was the crown prince of Polon. When he ran away from home as a young teen, King Mayadunne took him under his wing and mentored him. After Diyan returned to his home city of Polon, his father killed him, and Diyan became a demon known as the Black Prince.

Mahasona ("Great Cemetery Demon") is a fearsome demon with a bear's head and a black dog familiar. He is responsible for the Great Haunting, though Diyan was later framed for the tragedy. King Mayadunne obtained the legendary sword Chandrahasa (Moon Sword) from the mythical Mount Meru and worked with Diyan to bring down Mahasona. During battle, both Diyan and Mahasona were wounded and went into hibernation until the present day.

..................

✨ In the present, Binara Mayadunne is a 17-year-old teen living on the outskirts of Hevana, and she is King Mayadunne's descendant. She is a cynical loner with a sheltered childhood and was bullied for seeing ghosts. Only her mysterious sister believed her—a sister she had only seen a few times from the garden as a child. Binara only has the flower hairpin to remind her of her sister's existence.

✨ 7-year-old Binara visited the closed-off study in the abandoned wing of the Mayadunne Walauwa, where her sister was last seen. There, she finds her sister's footprints as well as a treasure trove of ghosthunter knowledge. Binara realized then that there were ghosthunters in her family, though she now lives in a household of skeptics. Binara uses the knowledge to become a self-taught indie ghosthunter.

✨ Both Mahasona and Diyan have now awakened. Mahasona wants to bring back the Great Haunting. He amasses a demon army and plans to open a dimensional rip to transport demons to the human realm.

✨ In CHAPTER 1, Binara sets out to Mai Mara Cemetery to summon Diyan and trap him. At the cemetery, she meets Mahasona, who had possessed his dog to maintain a low profile. Diyan arrives in time to teleport Binara to safety.

✨ Binara "infiltrates" the Yakadura, whom she looks down on, in order to get more info on the Black Prince. She gets partnered up with Piumi. At the Yakadura's library, she comes across The Chronicle of Yama, an old epic detailing a hero's quest to Mount Meru, where he obtains a sword and drum from the Asuras (titans) to defeat a fearsome demon.