5 | GAME

Mushrooms lay piled in the bowl—pale strips catching the light that streamed in from the windows. The sad-looking ingredient would undergo a transformation at the hands of the cook, and it would be worth the effort. Definitely worth it.

Yet, the image of her favorite mushroom dish elicited no response from her stomach, which kept churning ever since she discovered the mark on her shoulder. Binara reached for the tenth mushroom, hands moving of their own accord while she synced her breathing to the motion. Her shoulders slouched into a relaxed posture as the bittersweet chorus of her favorite band thumped out of her headphones. At least, cooking chores were better than cleaning—even more so since the cook was a woman of few words. Binara glanced up, wondering if Nelum had forgotten about her altogether.

The kitchen was as orderly as the rest of the walauwa, and dark metal appliances coexisted with the old. The centerpiece was the wood-fire stove, where Nelum now stood, one hand stirring a clay pot. The mouthwatering smell of jackfruit curry wafted up Binara's nose, though it still didn't rouse her appetite.

"Smells good, yes?" the cooked asked in her quiet voice.

"Oh, um, yeah." Binara directed her attention back to her task. "It's good."

"I can make you some coconut rotis. I know you like to eat it with that."

"Thanks, but I'm not really hungry."

The fire crackled and sputtered. Neither of them spoke. A distant clock ticked on and on until Binara's thoughts started wandering, dangerously close to territory she was determined not to stray into. She shook her head and drew in a long, measured breath.

The door swung open, making her jump. She whirled around in time to see her mother striding in.

A stony look veiled Inoka's face. The frost that coalesced between them hadn't thawed, even though it was nearing sundown. Binara went on tearing up the mushrooms.

"Ma'am," the cook said, pausing mid-stir, "are you going to leave? Surely you would stay for dinner?"

Inoka leaned against a counter, fingers drumming on the black marble. "If you could pack some dinner for me, that would be great, Nelum."

"You work so hard, ma'am. It's Vesak as well."

"It's busier than it's ever been. In fact, the Yakadura have ordered more stocks. It's barely been a week since the last shipment."

Binara perked up her ears, but said nothing. She tapped a finger on the phone to lower the volume.

"Everyone's feeling unsafe." Nelum sighed. "Even my family in Polon is worried."

"The news has spread then." Inoka adjusted her scarf, which harmonized with her color-coordinated ensemble. "Binara, can you take off that device?"

Binara pulled off the headphones and leveled her gaze at her. "What is it, Mom?"

"Oh, no apology?"

"I didn't say anything that was untrue."

The air almost sizzled while Nelum went back to stirring the pot. Inoka's expression made it clear that she had good many things to say, but a glance at the cook seemed to change her mind.

Binara held her head high and tore the last of the mushrooms with more force than necessary.

"I'm appalled at your behavior," her mother finally said. "Hopefully, Nayana can teach you some civility in the coming months."

"Uhuh."

"I've been meaning to ask—are you preparing your uni application?"

"I don't want to bother with it right now."