23 | MAP

Binara didn't move. She even forgot to breathe. A cyclone of thoughts and emotions swirled in her head—at odds with the tranquility that surrounded her in the moonlit study.

Diyan rolled up the paper and deposited it back on the shelf. The crackle of paper and the thud of boots vibrated her ears more than they should. The leopard padded to the cushion and sank down, muscles rippling under its midnight black coat.

"So that night," Binara whispered, forcing the words out of her mouth, "you teleported me away from Mahasona?"

"Yes." Diyan leaned against the shelf. "I couldn't believe that you went to Mai Mara Cemetery at night, flinging yourself directly in Mahasona's path. And you actually summoned me...Well, it was good that you did."

Binara touched her shoulder, where the mark was. "W-what about this?"

"That's my mark—a spectral signature, if you will, which wards off other demons."

"Like marking prey?"

"I didn't use it with harmful intent," he said quietly. "To the contrary, I tracked you and stationed Raya outside your balcony to make sure Mahasona didn't come after you."

"Why?" she demanded, the cyclone within gaining momentum. "Why would you bother?"

Diyan watched her, his expression unreadable. "Why not?"

As much as she wanted to grill him for a proper answer, she nudged it aside for the time being. Just breathe. In. Out. This was a total overhaul of everything she had believed to be true. It was so absurd and disorienting that she might as well have zipped into yet another reality. On top of that, the Black Prince now evoked a tangle of feelings that she couldn't begin to unravel. In a matter of minutes, her mortal enemy had transformed into something that she refused to accept. She was in control—she didn't need protection. Yet, she wasn't even aware of the enemy until now, let alone fight him. Iciness collected in her stomach, and her whole body broke into uncontrollable tremors.

"My lady, I think you need to retire to your room," Diyan said, his voice mellow. "You need rest. I will be out tomorrow, but we can talk more at dinner again if—"

"What about the Great Haunting?" Binara asked, urgency creeping into her tone. No, I will not go anywhere without answers. "Mahasona was behind it?"

The breeze blew against the window, and unknown insects chirped outside.

"It's a long story," Diyan finally replied. "But to put it simply—I was framed."

There were still too many pieces in the picture that were hidden to her. "Where is this demon now? It's in this realm?"

"Yes."

"What is this place anyways? How come it's night here all the time?"

Diyan gazed at the window—a glass circle that looked out onto pearlescent foliage. "Welcome to Holmanloke."

Oh...ghost world. Binara followed his eyes and watched a moth fly over a cluster of magenta flowers. Diyan walked back to the shelf and pulled out another rolled-up paper. He unfurled it on the octagonal table near the divan. Binara drew closer.

It was an unfinished map. In fact, only one half displayed drawings, all contained within a dark circle, while the other half was completely blank.