Chapter 23 - Malice

At this moment, the unconscious Jin Ling suddenly sat up. In front of the two, he clumsily stood up with closed eyes.

"Ooh, quick, it's starting again!" The cultivator's idle chatter and gossip quickly stilled as the story started up again and they all stared with rapt attention at the board. 

Sizhui leaned forwards, anxious to see how his friend was doing after being dug out of the wall. He nudged Jingyi, "What's wrong with Jin Ling? Is he awake? Why are his eyes closed?"

Jingyi rolled his eyes and replied in a sarcastic tone, "Calm down, Sizhui. Jin Ling's clearly sitting beside us right now, healthy as a princess, so nothing irreversible happened to him." Zizhen gave a well-timed snort of laughter that concealed the sound of Jin Ling grinding his teeth in irritation.

Wei WuXian wanted to see what he was going to do, so he didn't do anything as Jin Ling slowly walked around him, took one stride, and stepped back into the wall where he stood just a while ago. He placed his arms flat beside his body. Even the position was the same as before. Wei WuXian pulled him out of the wall again, feeling that the situation was both hilarious and strange. 

"Hilarious? How is that funny?!" one younger disciple cried out. "Jin Ling's clearly being possessed!"

There were the usual sheep-like murmurs of agreement among the audience, muttered reproaches of Wei Wuxian's immoral behaviour. However, the murmurs seemed to be getting increasingly more vague and half-hearted. Wei Wuxian's bizarre and immoral behaviour didn't really seem so evil from this perspective. 

This was a considerable threat to the reputations of Sect Leader Yao and his lackeys, who still stubbornly hated Wei Wuxian.

'This show is clearly on Wei Wuxian's side...' fumed Sect Leader Yao in his head, 'What can I do to save my face and get rid of it??' He sat there, brooding and plotting, but absolutely no ideas came to his head. 

Meanwhile Jingyi, even though he'd seemed all nonchalant before, found Jin Ling's zombie-like behaviour extremely unnerving. Still, with both Senior Wei and Hanguang Jun there, what could go wrong?

As he was about to tell Lan WangJi that it was best not to stay here for long, he suddenly quivered out of fright, hearing a few barks that came from afar.

Jingyi resisted the urge to laugh out loud - of course, the dog being there would change everything.

"Oh, of course, you're all amused by Jin Ling being possessed by some demonic being, but then shake with fright when you hear a dog barking." Jiang Cheng said, voice laced with sarcasm. "Really got your priorities right there, huh?" But he didn't really have the heart to really have a go at Wei Wuxian, the flashback scene of a toddler Wei Wuxian kicking desperately at stray dogs still fresh in his wind. 

Ever since they went in, the blackhaired spiritual dog behaved itself, wagging its tail as it sat before the entrance. It waited for them to bring back its master in an anxious yet pathetic way, without barking anymore. However, right now, its barks were fiercer than ever. Lan WangJi spoke, "Something is wrong outside of the castle."

"Outside the castle too??" muttered a Jiang disciple. "The inside seems plenty wrong enough."

His friend laughed briefly, then said hopefully, "Maybe the man-eating beast is outside?"

"But will we get to know the purpose of all the sabers in coffins?" sighed a Lan disciple who seemed to be friends with these Jiang disciples.

As he reached out to help Jin Ling, Wei WuXian beat him to it and carried Jin Ling up on his back, "Let's go out and see!"