Chapter 33 - Grasses

A/N: Sorry sorry sorry again for the crazy long hiatus !! Work and personal life caught up to me </3 However, I am alive and resurrected (Mo Xuanyu-sacrificial-ritual-style) and determined to finish this work to the end! Thank you everyone who is still interested enough to read.

Judging by the majority of comments, most of you would rather see all the chapters from the Yi City Arc, so here is the first one :)

The Shudong area was abundant in rivers and valleys. With towering peaks and a rough terrain, only faint breezes passed the area, causing the majority of places to be enveloped in mist.

When the audience finally settled down after their few minutes of gossiping, they saw on the board a pretty, yet undoubtedly creepy landscape on the board. At the sight of the heavy white mist, all the juniors who had been there at Yi City shivered as one. That place would haunt their nightmares for the rest of their lives, that was sure. 

Walking straight toward where the left hand pointed, the two of them came upon quite a small village. A few rails of fencing encircled thatched houses made from mud. A brood of colorful chicks scuttered in and out of the yards, pecking on the ground for rice. A large, bright-feathered rooster stood single-legged on a roof. With a twitching comb, it looked downward loftily, its neck turning left and right. It was fortunate that nobody had any dogs. It was likely that these villagers could only get their hands on a few chunks of meat a year, much less have any leftover bones to feed the dogs.

"That's not a village. There are, like, three houses." said a Jin junior disciple critically.

"Yeah, so?" Jin Ling retorted. He wasn't sure why he had gotten annoyed over that - considerably because he had though precisely the same thing when he'd first seen the village. It might have been because that Jin disciple was interrupting the story, or because Jin Ling just hated all the junior Jin disciples in general.

In front of the village, there was a fork road, leading to three different directions. Of these, two were rather bare. Covered with a great deal of footprints, it was clear that they were often walked upon. Yet, the last one had been overrun with weeds. A square sign made from a piece of rock was positioned slantingly at this road. Subject to age and weathering, the sign was split down the middle with a large crack.

The audience gazed from the left paths, well-trodden and normal, to the path on the right, which looked like the most suspicious path they'd ever seen.

"Please... don't go down that path." groaned Guo Wanxin, staring at the old, cracked stone sign.

"Of course they're going to. Who's going to stop them? Why would those two not pick the most dodgy and ominous path? They live for the drama, honestly." a woman from the Meishan Yu Sect scoffed.

Jiang Cheng glanced at her sideways. He had been thinking the exact same thing, but the women from his mother's sect still unnerved him. They reminded him too clearly of his mother.

Even from within the crack, withered weeds peeked out. Two large characters, which appeared to be the place that the road led to, had been carved onto the sign. One could manage to tell that the bottom character was the character for "city". However, the top character was complex in both form and brushstrokes. The crack just so happened to have run through it, causing a few broken bits of rock to lay scattered on the ground. Wei WuXian bent down and pushed the weeds aside. Even after staring at it for a long time, he still couldn't figure out what the character was.

The cultivators squinted, but couldn't make the word out either. An aura of foreboding settled upon them. This place couldn't be a good one. Half of them braced themselves for some terrifying scares and the other other eagerly anticipated the fighting and blood that was sure to come.