Chapter 4

"Do you have any idea why I called you down here, kid." Dr. Parker began pacing around the desk in his office.

"I don't know. But I am supposed to be with Gerard right now," Frank said.

Dr. Parker had called Frank into his office the following morning. Frank didn't like this since he was supposed to see Gerard early the next morning so he could put on his straitjacket again. The angry look on Dr. Parker's face told him that he was in trouble.

"I'm afraid you're not going to be seeing Way anymore." Dr. Parker sighed and shook his head.

"What? Why not?" Frank asked. "Please, let me continue seeing him, I'm the only person he trusts."

"That is simply out of the question, kid. The medical care you provide is honestly something I have never seen before. You have disobeyed me so many times when I am trying to give you advice. Now, you're to blame what happened to Way, kid." Dr. Parker glared at Frank, stabbing a finger in Frank's direction.

"Would you please call me by my name?" Frank rolled his eyes. "I'm not a kid, I'm twenty-two."

"I don't care how old you are, you have a lot to learn. You can't come into a well-developed medical facility like this and play around, causing damage then expect me to accept it as normal. The way you provide medical care for patients is not normal - I haven't seen anything like it." Dr. Parker was speaking more harshly this time which made Frank want to punch him.

"I have helped him more than any of you people have. Whenever anyone who isn't me enters his room, he freezes in fear. Is that what you call care? He's afraid of you people because you treat him like a monster. He isn't a monster, he is a damaged young man who just wants love. You read a file about somebody and assume everything that is written is true, but you have to give people a chance because they are capable of changing. He's only a monster if you treat him like one!" Frank said angrily, glaring at his boss.

Dr. Parker paused, staring at Frank. "Are you finished? Are you going to let me tell you why you're actually here?"

Frank sighed. "Yeah."

"If you didn't know already, Way is at a huge risk of injuring himself and others. There is a reason why he is contained in an almost empty room without anything that he could possibly harm himself with. Everything that comes in and out of that room must be considered safe, but you have failed yet again by bringing in unapproved items." Dr. Parker continued glaring at Frank. "Honestly, what is wrong with you?"

"Wh-what unapproved items? I brought him some cookies and apple juice. What's wrong with that?" Frank's face scrunched up and he briefly thought back to think about what could've been so wrong with that.

Dr. Parker rolled his eyes at Frank. "First of all, he gets enough food provided for him here, and second of all, the bottle for the apple juice was made from glass..."

Frank paused for a moment, staring at his boss, and then his eyes widened.

"Now, what happens when you put glass and a suicidal person in the same room? That's right, he injures himself. Well done," Dr. Parker said sarcastically. "I cannot believe that I could hire somebody so irresponsible and careless." He shot Frank an angry look.

"Please let me see him again. I promise I won't bring in any items that could harm him. Can you please give me another chance, sir?" Frank begged.

"No!" the doctor spat, "Now, get out of my office! I don't want to see you here again because you are fired!" He aggressively pointed to the door and shot up from his chair.

Frank swallowed regretfully and gathered his belongings, leaving the room. He wasn't shy in showing his anger, so he slammed the door behind him and called his former employer a 'jackass'.