Chapter 22 - Live, Laugh, Love

Morning came to Castle Dimitrescu through a thick, foggy haze of silvery mist. The snow on the treetops outside Y/N's window sparkled dully with dewdrops, and as he hauled himself out of bed and began to get ready to begin the day, he knew that the worst of the winter season was beginning to bear down upon them. 

Once he was dressed, Y/N made his way downstairs, where he was immediately confronted by the Grand Chambermaid, who was in a foul temper. 

'What is this?' She demanded of him, gesturing towards the corpse of the Vârcolac which still lay upon the floor in a pile of blood. 'It was my understanding that you would have moved this by now! How can I can I clean up this mess if it's still here?'

'Sorry.' Y/N replied guiltily, remembering with a flash of realisaion that he had been asked to dispose of the Vârcolac's body the night before by the Countess, but had instead crept away to console Bela. 

'Don't be sorry! Get it out!' The Grand Chamber maid scolded him loudly, and with her cleaning rags and bucket held before her like a chain-mace and shield, she drove him towards the crumpled corpse in the corner. 

With some difficulty, Y/N removed the broad-bladed sword which he had thrown through the Vârcolac's shoulder the night before, and handed it to the horrified-looking maid who came to retrieve it for cleaning. Quickly, he then grabbed the Vârcolac by its feet and began to drag it across the floor. It was back-breaking work, as the Vârcolac seemed to weigh only slightly less than a small car, but inch by inch, Y/N hauled it away from the main hall and dragged it down the corridor. 

Once he reached the back door, the Grand Chambermaid opened it with a muttered grumble, and allowed Y/N to roll the body down the back steps. Using logs and branches from the small pile by the shed nearby, Y/N quickly started a fire, threw the Vârcolac on top, and ducked back inside, coughing and retching as the foul, tar-like smell of the beast's burning hide filled the air with the smoke. 

'Leana's body has already been disposed of.' The Grand Chambermaid told him huffily as Y/N did his best to dust the Vârcolac's fur from his shirt and trousers. 'Did you have to dispatch her in such a brutal fashion?'

'She had been Lycanized.' Y/N replied guiltily. 'I thought it best to dispatch her quickly, Grand Chambermaid.'

'And do not call me that.' She answered brusquely, sweeping past Y/N towards the main hall. 'My name is Zoya, you may call me by this name. Wipe your boots!' She snapped, and sheepishly, Y/N quickly stomped the snow off his large lumberjack's footwear, before following Zoya back into the main hall. 

When they returned, Y/N could see that several maids were already on their hands and knees, scrubbing furiously at the large black puddle of dried blood that spread across the floor, and with a frustrated sigh, Zoya began directing them to the other patches of blood scattered around the floor. 

'I understand it did not make the first floor?' She asked icily, and Y/N nodded. 'Well, that much at least is good news.' She waved dismissively at Y/N. 'Thank you for your help, but we have no further need of you for the moment.' 

'Okay, but let me know if there's anything else I can do.' Y/N replied anxiously, looking at the pool of dried blood on the floor. 'Are you sure you don't want me to grab a cloth and help?' Zoya laughed loudly, but she smiled at Y/N, shaking her head despairingly. 

'Trust me, it is better this way.' She laughed. 'Go, keep my three mistresses distracted. I doubt the sight of this much non-human blood would agree with them.' 

---

When Y/N reached the top of the stairs above the main hall, he found Bela waiting for him. Back in her usual black dress and hood, she started slightly as she caught sight of him, and Y/N felt the power of speech slip away from him as they looked at each other.