Chapter 14 - A Dimitrescu's Word

The maids gasped as Y/N limped slowly through the castle kitchens, his thick, dark clothes covered in blood and ice as he trailed the axe behind him across the cobblestones. He moved slowly past them, barely acknowledging the staff at all, eyes fixed upon the doorway opposite. As he reached it, Y/N turned to the nearest maid, who blanched under his deadly gaze as he panted heavily.

'Don't go outside.' He growled, his voice thick with suppressed rage.

Y/N then turned, shambling through the door and into the castle. If Lady Dimitrescu had indeed broken their truce... he needed to hear her say it. Absently, Y/N thumbed the hammer of the revolver in his belt, pulling the axe up onto his shoulder with a hiss of pain as his wounded shoulder and arms stung under their rough bindings.

He limped steadily through the hall, ears open, until he found himself before the door to the dining room. With a low growl, Y/N pushed the door open with his axe, then staggered into the room.

The four Dimitrescu women were sat around the long white table as usual, evidently enjoying a glass of wine each after their meal, but as their heads turned to Y/N as he stumbled into the room, leaning heavily against the wood-paneled wall, the smiles slid from their faces instantly.

'My my, Y/N' Lady Dimitrescu smiled slightly from the head of the table as Y/N panted, his vision dark with rage. 'Did a tree fall on you?'

Y/N quelled the boiling fury in his stomach, and began to limp around the table towards the door on the other side. As he went, he kept his eyes trained on the Countess, who was watching him with a bemused smile on her pale features.

Reaching the other side of the room, Y/N staggered slightly, propping himself upright with his axe like a crutch, before he painedly drew his revolver from his belt, letting the gun dangle from his arm as he held it to one side, half-turning towards the window beside him. Lady Dimitrescu's smile faded slightly, and glancing around at the others, Y/N saw them watching him intently. Bela's eyes were wide as she watched him, barely blinking, and Daniela's expression was one of wariness, her eyes darting from the gun to the crystal window.

'Who... sent them?' Y/N growled, his voice shaking from pain and fury as he addressed the Countess. Lady Dimitrescu straightened slightly, her eyes flicking once to the gun in Y/N's hand, before she answered.

'Who sent what, child?' She asked, a hint of steel in her voice as her gaze turned flat. The room fell silent, save for Y/N's rapidly stilling breath as he leant heavily against the wall, motionlessly locking eyes with the Countess's dark stare.

'The Lycanssss.....' He hissed, wincing slightly with pain as the wound in his neck stung sharply. 'Who commands them?'

Lady Dimitrescu blinked suddenly, surprise flitting across her face as her gaze flickered across Y/N's battered visage, his face traced with both black and scarlet blood, his clothes soaked with it, the head of his axe still streaked with gore. Evidently putting two and two together, she shifted in her seat before replying in a much more even tone.

'They cannot be given orders.' She replied, watching Y/N calmly as he continued to glare at her. 'They are mere animals. Anything with a heartbeat is considered their prey.' She glanced distastefully at Y/N's axe, which was now pooling blood onto her carpet. 'Did you stray beyond the borders of the estate, I wonder?'

'They sought me out... at the cabin.' Y/N replied quietly, his rage fading somewhat as he realized his mistake. 'You may wish to check your borders... they're well inside them... and I think two of them followed me down the hillside...' Y/N winced, his hand flying to his side as he felt blood soaking through one of the bandages across his ribs, half-sinking to one knee as the revolver dropped from his numb fingers.