Chapter 35 - Broken Silence

From the moment Y/N slipped through the doorway into the south wing of the castle, he felt a gust of gentle warmth brush past face as it rushed to escape through the open door. Quickly, Y/N pulled the door closed behind him, keeping the heat inside, and turned to look down the long, golden corridor into the rest of the wing. Here, all the lights were still on, and though all of the ornate vases that had lined the walls before now lay in broken heaps of shattered china across the floor, it seemed as though this area of the castle had largely survived.

Cautiosly, Y/N crept further into the south wing, keeping an ear out for distant footsteps as he went, wondering what on earth he was going to do next. Would they still care about him? After everything he had done? He could hardly blame them if they wanted to kill him on sight after what he had put them through.

Y/N crept onwards, until he spotted the three doors at the far end of the corridor and halted, feeling a swell of guilt and unease rise inside him at the sight. But he had come this far... Steeling himself, Y/N approached the door to Bela's room. He heard no sounds from within as he reached it, only the sound of his own nervous breathing and so, taking a deep breath, he raised a hand and knocked quietly upon the door.

For a long moment, there came no sound. Silence stretched out uncomfortably as Y/N waited nervously for a reply. When none came, he raised his hand and knocked again, slightly louder. Again, there came no sound from inside.

Anxiety was beginning to gnaw at Y/N as he waited for a reply, so after a few more moments of nervous silence, he cast a look backwards over his shoulder to check that the corridor was deserted, then leant close to the surface of the door.

'Bela?' Y/N called softly through the door. 'Bela? Are you there?'

No reponse came. Although, as Y/N listened anxiously for a sound inside the room, he could've sworn he heard movement from within. He raised his hand again, knocking a third time and raising his voice slightly.

'Bela?' He hissed, casting another anxious glance at the corridor over his shoulder, paranoid that he might be overheard.

Below him, the brass doorhandle twisted open with a soft click, and Y/N stepped back from the door as it slowly opened a few inches. Through the gap, he saw a pale face gazing warily out into the corridor, and the moment their eyes met, he saw relief spread across it.

Bela pulled the door open, stepping out into the light of the corridor, and Y/N watched as a tired smile broke out across her face. They stood motionless for a moment, their eyes never leaving each other as Y/N took a deep breath, his heart thundering in his ears as his mind went blank, everything he had planned to say melting away into obscurity.

'Hi.' He smiled awkwardly. 'I... umm...'

With choked laugh, Bela rushed towards him and threw her arms around Y/N's neck in a tight embrace, burying her face in his shoulder as she hugged him to her. Y/N stumbled in shock, but a moment later wrapped his arms tightly around her in return, and the two of held each other for a long moment as relief coursed through them in waves.

In his arms, Y/N felt Bela shaking with disbelieving laughter, and felt a broad, foolish grin spread across his own face as he held her to him, feeling her icy hands move to either side of his face as she pulled away to grin tearfully at him through the curtains of her golden hair.

'Oh you... stupid manthing!' Bela laughed through her tears, planting a firm kiss upon his lips before letting out a sharp breath of indignation. 'Oh!... You bastard!' Y/N began to laugh, gazing into Bela's sparkling eyes as she glared at him accusingly, still grinning in spite of herself as she cradled his face in her hands.