Chapter 9: Heists, Coffins, and Fuck-Ups

Day 1: 17 hours and 42 minutes (5:42 pm, local time. One hour until sunset)

"Shit."

Momo, Neito, Yuga, and Kyouka all looked at the case with a combination of focus and annoyance.

Their target was sitting there. In the middle of the museum's grand showcase.

"A fucking coffin. Really?" Kyouka called out. She was listening to the area, checking if they were in the clear. Yuga was with her in a silver and black outfit with a short red shoulder cape wrapped around him, his torso was covered with armor connected to the silver focusing array. The loose fabric and puffy sleeves looked somewhat French, with silver patterns that caught the light.

Across from them, their companion team was wearing more... risqué outfits. Neito wore black sleek pants and boots, an open black vest, and a pair of black gloves, his head topped by a felt flat-topped cap. It made him look one part page boy, one part male stripper. Momo wore a sleek red backless dress and black thigh-highs, with an array of pouches across her hips. For shoes, she wore stylish black boots that reached her knees, leaving several inches of black satin stockings above them, before leaving a gap between her dress and the edge of the satin. The two were currently trying to spoof the case security for the exhibit. The coffin, emblazoned with the distinctive number 13 over the UA seal, rested in the center of a massive exhibit on zombies. Clearly a joke exhibit too, like the rest of them (the exhibits on UFOs, the Mad Science of the 22nd Millennia and Mothman were notable). The Support Class clearly built them for fun.

"We have less than two hours until the system swaps to a high-security lockdown for the night. But if we disturb the exhibit, then we're already fucked."

Momo and Neito both made their way back.

"Well, good news? The coffin is unanchored. If we get it, we can just carry it out. The issue is the motion sensors. If anything else gets disturbed, it triggers an alarm. If the glass shatters, it triggers an alarm. If the laser grid over the coffin is set off, it triggers an alarm," Momo explained, already texting the data they had gathered to Hacker and the Tower.

"Seriously? What about having Hacker turn off the alarms?"

A beep preceded Mei's voice over the comms.

"I wish I could, but this is definitely older students at work. It's awesome, but several of these tricks I don't have counters for. First off, the alarm uses what's referred to as an interrupt system. If you break the circuit or interrupt the signal, three separate receivers go set the alarm off. If one of the receivers goes offline, the other two set the alarm off. I can't disable it from here. If I was there, I might be able to delay it, but no dice."

Kyouka, Momo, and Neito stared at the display. It was five meters on the side and a little under a meter tall. The area was covered in a massive pile of gravestones and fake zombie pieces behind glass. In the center was the coffin.

Yuga tapped the base of the display and then tilted his head. Kyouka looked down and listened as he tapped again. 'That's hollow,' she thought. "Umm.. if we can't go over, because of the lasers, or through, due to the motion sensors... can we go under?" Yuga asked, looking at the case with a critical eye.

The other three paused and Yuga grinned, opening the panel carefully to reveal a smooth wooden surface under the exhibit.

"Momo, Neito. Do you have laser pointers in your repertoire?"

A few minutes later they were set. Momo and Neito marked off the exact lines of where the box was, using the lasers to show it across the underside of the box. With careful hands, Yuga marked off the square with a marker, then had them re-check his measurements as he stared at the underside of the case.