Chapter 19: The Invincible Door Fallacy

Day 2: 8 hours, 13 minutes (8:13 am, local time)

Hitoshi shook himself off and hung his umbrella on a nearby coat rack, the others following suit, as his eyes tracked over the room. It appeared to be a large atrium, stone tiling for floors, wood paneling leading to cream paint. Recessed lighting, warm but bright. A sitting area on a carpet. Two of the modified 'Securi-bots' stood patiently around the room, one behind the desk in the corner, one against the wall near the door. A pacing bot had a circuit near the far left wall and a civil-bot in a sunny dress sat working at a desk. With a quick but still casual pace, he led his procession of villains to the front desk and spoke up, enunciating clearly.

"Hello. I am here for my 8:15 appointment with Mister Cylon." Behind him there was what sounded like suspiciously choked laughter from one of the girls. He was betting Momo, sci-fi seemed like her thing.

The civil-bot secretary paused, apparently checking its computer screen.

"Of course, sir. Please take the elevator to floor 33."

With a nod, Hitoshi strode past, careful to maintain the appearance of a professional. Hacker had only managed to give him a short window with his 'hack-Quirk' and he didn't want to waste it. He didn't get the specifics, something about code to hardware gaps and how to hack pre-scheduled updates and how annoying the hard backups to the networked code every six hours were. In the end, she had managed to get the code to hack the modified bots in with the night-day activation signal. Beyond that, what she had installed was essentially an extra piece of software, which would take over once exposed to the audio trigger. He had spent a solid twenty minutes repeating it to her, in a multitude of different stresses so that it would consistently work.

His watch (designed to look like a high-end Rolex, thanks to Momo and Mei) had a countdown timer. Four hours until the next scheduled reset. Hacker had made it clear that it was still possible for it to reset before that.

Yuga hit the elevator button. The doors opened and the other three filed in first, followed by Hitoshi.

He would need to be careful.

The elevator doors closed and the office team headed up.

"Drug-Runner, get the bars. Assault, plant the escape charges."

The two quickly got to work, Mina filing the bars in each place where they met concrete, metal claws scoring them and her stronger acids getting to work, acrid smoke drifting from the liquids as they ate through the material.

Mei herself was farther down the tunnel at a junction box that connected the city's water lines to the building's own water supply, including the fire suppression system. After a few tweaks to the connection, the water lines to the fire suppression system were set to only trigger at her command. With luck, that would keep the trick that Kingpin used to take out Bakugou from damaging her babies, and let her use it if necessary.

With a clang, the edge of the now removed grate hit the floor, and Mezou helped pull it aside.

The four of them filed through, coming out in the maintenance hallways under the research facility. Mei jogged over to the rows of circuit breakers and junction boxes several rooms down. With a hard connection in, she would be more than capable of shutting most of the security down.

However, the lab they needed was on a separate circuit, one in the lab itself.

She hoped her plan to deal with that would work.

Pulling up the schematics and double-checking her work, Mei began to disarm the building security.

Shouto waited to let the teams be dismissed before approaching Bakugou who stood looking over the holographic table map of the city sewers.