Prologue

A grey Andalusian mare galloped along a dirt trail. In the saddle was a young woman, early twenties, a sense of urgency painted on her face. Slumped forward in the saddle sat her young son. He was weak, limp, clearly sickly and groaning in pain. They hurried along the trail with only the moon shining through the trees to illuminate their path.

The woman pulled back on the horses reins, making her skid to a stop. The boy jolted forward because of the abrupt stop, but was steadied by his mother's grip before he could fall.

She quickly dismounted from the saddle. "Woah.." she cooed at the spooked horse to settle her down. Once the horse was still, she quickly reached for her son to remove him from the saddle as well. Her actions were rushed; the rapid decline of her son's health driving her urgency. She managed to swing his arms around her neck so she could carry him in her arms.

"Nelreir!" She called out, carrying the boy in her arms as she walked into the cave.

"Nelreir!" She called out again once they were further inside the entrance.

A loud rumble could be heard echoing through the cave in response to her calls, followed with heavy footsteps and the shifting of rocks under feet. A large dark blue and green scaled dragon appeared from the back of the cave, his long spiked tail swinging back and forth behind him.

The woman seemed unfazed at the appearance of the deadly creature, rushing towards him with her son still in her arms.

The dragon and the human met at a large, table-like stone that was in the middle of the cave. She laid the young boy on his back on the stone table, tears now gushing down her face.

"Please, help him..."