V

─────────────────       chapter five:aelanys' nameday─────────────────

─────────────────
chapter five:
aelanys' nameday
─────────────────

STIRRING ABOUT all night, Aelanys could not seem to find sleep. She never imagined to marry her own uncle, the insufferable Aegon. The princess heard rumors of the prince assaulting hand maids and pleasuring himself on his balcony sill.

Aelanys shuddered at the thought.

How could anyone wish to wed a boy like Aegon? Sure he was always trying to make her laugh and now that she thought back on it he was mostly kind towards her. All her thoughts kept the young princess awake at night tossing and turning. Even when she found slept she would wake up not long after in a cold sweat. "Is everything alright Aelanys?" Ser Dravyn peaked his head into her chambers concerned by all the rustling. "Ser Dravyn, you are my sworn protector is this true?" Aelanys sat up in her bed covering herself with the sheets. "Of course princess..." Dravyn couldn't help but wonder what she was on about this time. "Aid me now and give me sound advice as you always have."

Walking into the room, Ser Dravyn closed the doors behind him letting the other guard Rhaenyra requested to know. He took a seat on the small sofa in the princess' chambers. Sighing he crossed his arms knowing it must be about her upcoming betrothal "I cannot imagine how absolutely terrifying it must be for you. Going to war seems much simpler than wedding a man you know is terrible, just for duty."

Aelanys' eyes became watery at her knight attempting to comfort her. "I'd rather be in a war than have to marry Aegon." She huffed wiping her stray tears.

"Moments these make grateful being a bastard. I will never know such great responsibilities. Yet, I know the gods give such power to those they know can handle it." Dravyn nodded his eyes full of admiration knowing how resilient she was. "I believe you have handled more than a young lady could imagine and gracefully might I add." He continued.

"I thank you Dravyn," Sniffled Aelanys.

Nodding Ser Dravyn stood and began to head for the door. "Wait!" The princess called out to him. Turing to her he stood tall as a knight should. "Yes princess?"

"Would you stay and watch me sleep? I feel uneasy alone with my thoughts." He gave a nod before going to alert his commander who agreed it would best.

It didn't take long until the knight was back as he told the other knight something she could not hear. "Sleep tight princess." The other knight nodded before closing her doors. Dravyn walked in taking a seat on the small chaise as he did before. "Goodnight Aelanys. I will ensure you can safely sleep."

It was comforting to know she had a friend to watch over her. Someone that had her back. Especially in moments like this when she felt alone with only her thoughts.

─────────────────

Aelanys always found herself hating her own nameday. Many would think it to be a joyous occasion yet, for the princess it was the opposite.