From the Shadows

A/N: Sorry for the long wait on this chapter. Been busy and the ideas weren't flowing like I wanted them to. But here you go!

Kendrick remained a vigilant guard over Twillow all night. Every sound and every smell was scrutinized with the utmost paranoia. But thankfully it was uneventful.

The next morning the sun rose and Twillow awoke with a strong, hard arm wrapped around her front. She rolled back and smiled when she saw Kendrick curled up against her, holding her to him as close as physically possible.

"Good morning, my light." He greeted softly as he nuzzled her hair and ear.

"Didn't you sleep at all?" she inquired.

"I don't need sleep right now."

She tried to get up and unclasp his strong arm from her but he chuckled, holding her closer, "Mm...no you don't."

"I want to get dressed." She protested.

He smiled, "You don't need clothes."

"I want to go down and get some breakfast."

"Marci will probably bring it up soon."

Twillow gave a look of exasperation, "I don't want to lay down anymore. I need to move. Get my wings going."

As if to accentuate that point her wings vibrated against his chest.

Kendrick gave a deep sigh into the back of her neck and reluctantly released her, "Mm. Very well. But I'm going with you. I don't want you out of my sight for a second."

Once free, Twillow got up and began changing into a simple house robe. Kendrick too got into his clothes as well. Before Twillow could exit the room Kendrick checked down the halls, scenting for danger. Nothing smelled out of the ordinary so he led her out and down to the kitchen.

Suddenly a horrendous crash followed by intense roaring blasted from inside the kitchen.

Marci was screaming, "SILKY! OH GODS! NO! NO! STOP! SILKY STOP!"

Two cooks came barreling through the door looking horrified.

Kendrick instinctually put Twillow behind him, eyes going intense, "Stay right there."

The kitchen was a cacophony of what sounded like destruction; glass shattering, metal banging, wood splintering, Marci screaming, and presumably the snarling growls of a Quetzal dragon. With caution, Kendrick opened the swinging wooden door and beheld a scene of chaos. Golden scales writhed and thrashed at the back of the kitchen right in front of a destroyed doorway. Kitchen accoutrements were thrown asunder, broken in the wake of the Quetzal dragon. Marci was trying to keep her distance yet was also trying to stop whatever her dragon was doing. Silky resembled a snake wrapping and constricting a mouse. But Kendrick couldn't see what she was attacking.

Suddenly he saw red spattering the walls and counters and immediately smelled the stench of blood. Then he saw the flash of crimson covering Silky's face. No question: Silky was killing or had already killed something.

"SILKY! STOP!" Marci screamed desperately.

Kendrick rushed through the kitchen to help her but before he got halfway, Silky retreated out of the broken doorway, dragging a large, bloody form in her coils. Marci ran out to follow but Kendrick caught her arm.

"Marci! Are you alright? What happened?"

Her green eyes full of tears and horror met him before she yanked her arm away and ran outside, "Silky's killing Callun!"

Kendrick remembered the cyclops guard distinctly and given the amount of blood slathering the floor it looked like the dragon had succeeded. He rushed out after her and by the time he caught up, Silky had released the large, dark-skinned body and was standing beside it snarling. Blood dripped from her jaws; her eyes were feral looking.