TWELVE

Vivianne

By the end of the clinic, Constance had sharpened us up way beyond our dull performance. Coach Wang had told us that she'd be back for some, if not all, our practices before our first game. After Con had left, we played another game against one another (which surprisingly didn't consist of Coach yelling at us the whole time), then we were dismissed to the locker room.

"Clark's kind of cute," I heard one of the girls saying as I peeled off my practice clothes. I frowned to myself, but of course I didn't say anything. I checked my phone as I pulled out my clean clothes, getting ready to head towards the showers. I had some texts from Aiana and my dad asking when he needed to pick me up from the volleyball clinic.

"...think she's a stud..."

I frowned deeper, rereading over my dad's text at least three times as I tried to block my teammates out.

"Vee. Can I get a ride?" Kynlee asked, coming up to me with just her sports bra on and her volleyball shorts.

"Sure...I'll ask my dad," I shrugged.

"Look, I'm gettin' thicker," Kyn joked, flipping around and horribly shimmying her nonexistence.

"Moveee," I laughed, as she backed up on me.

One thing about Kynlee, she loved to cheer people up. How could she tell? Was it that obvious the other girl's comments were bothering me?

"Let me know what your dad says. My cousin just would be really late pickin' me up, is all," she shrugged, finally stopping.

"Ight. I got you. I'll check with him before I go shower."

"You stopping by the library more often now?" she grinned, speaking lowly.

"If everyone in the locker room finds out she works there, then people'll be checkin' out books everyday," I whispered, shooting Kyn a glare.

"My lips is sealed," she tossed away the key. "But someone's bounddd to find out eventually, Vee."

"Hopefully never," I playfully pouted.

"I wonder if she gotta shawty," Kyn attempted to wiggle her eyebrows.

"I don't know," I bit my lip in thought. "I think so."

"Well, all we have to do is find out then, don't we," she held her hands on her hips.

"Kyn, no," I sighed, feeling my phone buzz. It was probably my dad responding. "I wanna get over this lil crush cause she'll be helping out with the team now."

"And? That'd mean more time with her. Anddd," Kyn smiled, "if we make it to finals, then we take that big trip to San Antonio, and Con would prolly wanna come, right? And that means fancy bus trip, hotel rooms, possibly a trophy for the team, and maybe some fun at a theme park."

I shrugged, trying not to think about all of those possibilities as I text my dad back. "We gotta win our first game. Right now my focus is on that."

"That ain't true and we both know that, but okay," she smirked, heading back to wherever her stuff was.

"He said sure," I called out to her as she walked away.

"Thanks, Vee," she shouted back.

After we left the high school, Kynlee and I piled into my dad's blank Sentra, our volleyball bags at our feet. We were on the way to Kynlee's to drop off her stuff, then we'd stop by my house to drop my bag off, so that we could meet Aiana at the mall. My dad was out running errands today, so he didn't really mind. Plus, I don't think he really wanted to be in the house much because him and my mom were still being all awkward around each other after their little argument.