Ch.28 ~ Daryls Accident

A/n: Bit of a long chapter to make up for my absence and cause I don't know when I'll upload next. Will mostly likely be over Xmas now since I have 6 assignments to work on for collage before then 🙂🔫 wish me luck. And enjoy.

~~~

3rd Person POV

Daryl and Skylla had been travelling along the creak for almost 2 hours, along the way catching squirrels to take back for the group. Skylla trotted alongside the horse taking stance at every sound she heard. But so far they'd managed to steer clear of any walkers, which was either a good or bad thing.

Daryl pulled the reins or the horse towards him bringing both animals to a halt as he looked from atop the horse, down through the foliage of the trees and into the water. There perched on a rock was something that looked familiar to the man.

He jumped down off the mare, hooking her reins around a branch as he carefully stepped down off the low bank and into the creak with his crossbow at his side and Skylla on his heels. With each step he took water and soaked up to his knees of his cargo trousers till he came to a halt before the object which had caught his attention.

It was undoubtedly Sophia's now that he saw the object up close. It was her doll, the one she carried everywhere as it was a gift from Morales little girl. But why was it here? Glancing around as he held the wet doll in his hand he decided to call out for the girl.

"SOPHIA!" His voice echoed around the quietness of the forest as his feet splashed in the shallow waters. When no response came he trodded back up the bank to the horse, swinging his crossbow onto his back and securing the doll to his belt.

Skylla jumped up just as Daryl had swung back up onto the mare. She took a moment to glance around them before following after Daryl who had already begun to make his way further up the creak. She continued to walk a few paces behind the horse glancing down into the waters and then back out to the trees.

The further they travelled the higher the creek bank became very quickly becoming a cliff rather than a banking. Daryl's eyes were fixed on the waters below looking for any other signs of Sophia. As he did the horse continued along the path her rider was taking her.

Things were going smoothly still with no signs of walkers or any mishaps happening. In fact things were going too smoothly which only meant one thing, something was about to go wrong.

A snake slithered it's way through the forest floor towards the man and two animals and as the the horse and snake stood only a foot apart the snake with a hiss lunged towards the horse sending it off in a nervous nay as it reared back and began to buck violently subsequently throwing the man atop off its back and down the cliff.

Daryl's body rolled with speed violently thrashing and bashing into the ground and trees as he tumbled down into the waters. He ended his fall with a splash as he slid down the rocks hitting his head at the bottom, his crossbow fell off his back into the river floating away from him as a stray arrow lodging itself in his side.

The mare bolted as she was now released from her master and frightened of the snake. Meanwhile Skylla lunged at the snake tackling it in her paws snapping her jaw at it as the slippery creature dodged the dog's attempts to bite into it by snapping its own thangs and tail at the larger animal.

Tumbling through the muddy forest floor as the two animals fought Skylla was quick to pin the snakes tail down under one her paws jumping out the way when it snapped it's head forwards once again with a hiss at the dog.

She still kept the paw pressed on the tail as she dodged the snake's attack and because of this the perfect's opportunity presented itself as the snake's neck was displayed before her. Quickly she clamped her teeth into its neck and pulled on it till it pulled away from its body.