The Questions

Annabeth Chase

I'm currently teaching a class of ADHD and dyslexic kids how to speak, read and write in ancient greek. It's a nightmare. Yes, it's supposed to be hardwired in our minds, hence the dyslexia but they still gotta know how to be proficient. "So does anyone have any questions?"

"Why are apartments so close together?" I sighed. Questions like these really are the worst.

"Uh I mean I don't know. Ask whoever invented them. That would be Philip G. Hubert I believe."

"Why do they call it a TV set when you only get one?" I am really starting to hate these kids. Maddie looked at me expectantly, waiting for an answer.

"If you had amnesia and then were cured, would you remember that you forgot?"

"Do you all really think I know the answers to these questions?!" I glared at them and they shrunk back. It was silent until one kid spoke up.

"Why do overlook and oversee mean opposite things?" They all start to rapid fire at me.

"If someone has a mid-life crisis while playing hide and seek, does he automatically lose because he can't find himself?"

"When your pet bird sees you reading the newspaper, does he wonder why you're just sitting there, staring at carpeting?"

"Do you need a silencer if you are going to shoot a mime?"

"How does the guy who drives the snowplow get to work in the mornings?" I stared at him. What kind of question is that? Does he really think that I know the answer to that?

"Why do we drive on parkways and park on driveways?"

"Why is it that when you transport something by car, it's called a shipment, but when you transport something by ship, it is called a cargo?" I just sat there for a moment. I am so done with these kids. They really come up with deep shower thought questions.

All of a sudden Percy bursts through the door and shouts, "Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites?" I get up and chase him out of the room and down the hallway.