Prologue

Today was going to be the day. Alex Pines wiped his face, a bit nervously. He held the small ring box in his hands and bit his lip.

"Alex!" A woman called from behind him. He stiffened. "Hey!" She called happily, hugging him from behind, not excitedly, but tenderly.

"A-Ash." He choked a bit, surprised. He smiled nervously, spinning her around and looping their arms. "Shall we?" He said, gesturing to the restaurant, almost sheepishly.

"What's wrong? Are you planning something?" She asked, with a huge grin and a suggestive eyebrow.

Alex put on a weak smile as they walked into the restaurant. "A-oh uh, no I'm not I'm n-"

"OH MY GOD you scallywag! What's there?" She said, in a soft chuckle. "What have you planned?"

He sighed. "Well, it's nothing big, the staff have nothing to do with it so, just dinner I guess."

Ashley looped her index fingers with her thumbs and put them over her eyes. "Alex.." She said dangerously. "Honey, don't make me use my skepticals."

Alex laughed a bit as they were led to their fancy booth. "Tell me, do you want the surprise before, or after dinner?"

"Is it a gift?" She asked.

"Uh... kinda?" He made a nervous smile. Would she know what he was up to?

"After supper then, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to guess what it is." Ashley smiled.

She was in no rush to receive her gift, she enjoyed the food and her time with Alex. Of course, she was still anxious to see her present. After she went to the washroom and cleaned the sweet and sour sauce off her fingers, she was ready. She came back to see Alex, practically bouncing with excitement. She got in her spot and Alex got up, then down on one knee. "Ashley Brownsfield. You are the most perfect girl I could ever ask for." He said, pulling out a moonstone ring. "Now I ask of you, will you make this the happiest day of my life, and marry me?"

There were tears in Ash's eyes. "Alex..." She gasped. The ring was beautiful. She nodded. "Yes, yes, yes! Alex..." She wiped her joyful tears away with a napkin and the restaurant was filled with applause. He slipped the ring on her finger as he got up.

"I love you."

"I love you too."

A week after the marriage...

Ashley stared at the soaking rings. She wanted them to always be shiny forever. She swore on her favorite knitting needles she'd wash them once a week.

"Ashley, you don't have to watch them soak." Alex chuckled.

"Yes, I do, it increases shininess." Ashley insisted.

"I'm no geologist, but I don't think that's how it works." Alex said.

"Well then, what do propose we do instead?" Ashley asked, getting up.

"Well, we need fruit." Alex suggested. "We can go to the grocer."

"Yeah, ok... I want a dragon fruit!" Ashley laughed as they walked out of the kitchen. "To the one on Main, or Whitehorse?" She asked before leaving, Alex following.

The gem in each of the rings doubled in size. "What is this place? Where am I? Where are she... we... I?" He opened his eyes for the first time in over 500 years. He looked around. The objects in this area were overwhelming.

"Woah! This is so different than I... we... I remember." She looked around, the only thing familiar, other than the liquid she was standing in, was her counterpart. She looked so different. Than before they were I. "Moon, wh-what happened to Eclipse?"

Sun looked as confused as he. "I need... we don't remember?" He said in a questioning tone. They looked at each other, Sun reached for Moon's hand and held it. Sun pet Moon's hair.

"My... your form." She spoke. "Your hair, I... you look different. Male."

"I... you... don't understand we." Moon held his head.

Sun frowned a bit. "Where are we? This isn't the earth temple."

"Huh?" Moon questioned. "I do not understand. I am Moon?"

"Yes, why are you acting as if you've forgotten?" Sun asked.

"I think I have, I don't recall a thing since... words." Moon said.

Sun sighed. "We are counterparts, you've reformed without me, so now we must seek shelter for yet... another Ex reformation."

"Ex reformation... rebirth from the same gem... I agree, if we are counterparts." Moon agreed.

"This building is a human habitat. Humans value gems, if we find a proper hiding place, we can stay hidden until our reformation. It shouldn't be more than 12 or 13 earth months." Sun said, she glanced at Moon's forehead. A ring was attached to his gem. She touched just above her chest. Her gem had a ring too. "It would seem we've been chosen for a thing humans call jewelry. Rings. We should be safe for the time we need."

Moon nodded. "Shall we ex reform then?"

Sun nodded. "Gladly."

The two gems went unnoticed in their physical forms. They retracted into their gems and shrunk, glowing and sparkling with more beauty than before. They hadn't had the smallest suspicion that one day, they'd emerge in a bathe of light, and grow up like human children, with human children names, go to school and age, like human children. There was no way they could've predicted that, when they reformed, they'd look like discolored human babies. Like twins.

They had no idea. No clue. One day, they'd be Mabel and Dipper Pines and have to face the truth of what they were.