a cursed epithet

*Nodachi POV*

I collided with my target, sending us flying through the bricks of a nearby building. I lost control at the end there. This person wasn't carrying Kaori, but I would have sent her flying all the same if they had been. I definitely had more training to do once this was all over.

"Ouch. What's your problem lady?" a young but deep voice asked. He spoke in a monotone bored manner.

I looked down at the young man. He was my age, with pitch black hair and was covered in bandages. I recognized his face though, shock filled my body instantly.

"You! You're-" I stuttered.

"Save me the shocked realization, will you? It's played out." he said.

What were the chances I would run into a wanted criminal on top of everything tonight. Why was Hitoki Zero here? More importantly why did he smell like Kaori?

"Are you enjoying yourself?" He said motioning to his chest.

My face became hot as I realized I had been lying on top of him this whole time. I jumped back a few feet and crossed my arms frowning, visibly embarrassed.

"You're blushing, my lady." The voice chimed in.

"Shush" I spat back.

"You obviously know who I am so what's your name?" He asked.

"It's Noda. Why do you smell like my little sister?" I asked seriously, simultaneously unsheathing my blade.

He stood up, bricks and other miscellaneous debris fell off of him. He looked at me with a concerned expression, I could tell he was looking intently at me even though his eyes were hidden behind his eyelids. He had a weird energy about him. It felt like just being around him made the area darker and more gloomy.

"You mean the little girl from the apartment building? Are you her sister?" he asked.

"Yes! Where is she?!" I yelled.

"I'm looking for her too." he said calmly.

How did this criminal on the run from the government come to know Kaori?

"What happened to her?" I asked, tightening the grip on my blade.

"You know, you really shouldn't point huge swords at people you just met." He said motioning to my sword.

"You can't even see!" I retorted.

He turned around and sat casually on a pile of rubble and rested his elbows on his knees.

"I can see fine, the darkness hasn't bothered me in years."he said.

I was confused but decided not to press him too much.

"I was being pursued by some bad people. I got hurt pretty bad in a fight with one of them, I managed to get away when your sister found me stumbling down the sidewalk." he explained.

His expression grew grim.

"I tried to tell her to stay inside, that it wasn't safe to help a guy like me. I ended up passing out and when I awoke, I was in the apartment with my injuries healed and she was gone. She saved me, now I'll save her." he finished.

"Bad people?" I asked suspiciously. I sheathed my weapon. I still didn't trust him, but his demeanor was calm and he didn't seem like he meant me any harm.

"Really bad, they're a top secret government assassin group called Blade." He said looking up at me.

"This guy smells like danger." The voice said.