zero dark thirty

*Nodachi POV*

"Am I dead?" I thought to myself. It felt like I was floating in vast sea of space, everything was white and as far as I could see there was pure nothingness.

"Not quite, my lady." The Voice said suddenly. "You've been knocked out, the place you're seeing is your subconsciousness."

"Where have you been? I could've used some help back there you know!" I said.

"Back then, when Zero mentioned your last name I experienced a strange illusion." She said with a startlingly serious tone.

"What did you see?" I asked.

"At first, a beautiful forest was revealed to me, a landscape beyond basic understanding." She paused as if reminiscing on the memory.

"But then, I was bombarded with visions." She finished.

"Visions?" I said confused, still drifting figuratively in a river of unconsciousness.

"Different people, I didn't recognize any of them though. See, when you awakened your mark was the first time I became sentient inside you. Certain impulses already laid dormant inside of me, my tendency to refer to you as "my lady" for example. I have no memory of events before then" She explained.

"I could not even speak to you in the beginning, but as your body became more accustomed to your mark I was finally able to communicate." She finished.

"Well that explains why you just popped up out of no where at least." I said finally.

"One of the people I saw stood out to me in particular. There was a woman with whom you share a strong likeness." She said.

"W-what me?"

"Yes, but this was not the most alarming thing about her. This woman also bore the same mark as you!"

"Huh?! The only way that could be possible is if-" I started

"I believe she was your mother, my lady."

My heart skipped a beat. I never knew anything about my mother, she never held me or scolded me for acting out hell I couldn't tell her from a bunch of strangers. Pakuyo-san always told me she died a hero alongside my father. Countless times I found myself wondering who it was they had saved if not their own children, who was so important?
"Did she say anything?" I asked quietly.

"She did not speak to me. She was fighting with someone, enveloped in a beautiful aura. I could not make out her opponent unfortunately, the battlefield was far too chaotic."

"She was yelling something over and over again, "save her"."

"That's what you were chanting earlier! My head started spinning and you weren't making it any better!" I yelled.

"Forgive me."

"That was a joke! Geez lighten up."

"Please attempt to be serious my lady, I still have important insight to share."

I frowned and decided to let her finish.

"Your progress in getting used to your powers has strengthened our connection. While in a focused and still state such as this one I am able to reveal my true self to you."

Without another word she appeared before me. I was taken aback by the raw beauty of the mystical creature I was witnessing. She was a gigantic wolf, roughly the size of a two story building. Her pelt was a dark charcoal grey, but faded into a mesmerizing violet purple towards her paws. She had dangerous sword-length fangs that protruded from her mouth, with pitch black claws that looked perfect for ripping flesh. She glowed with a romantic purple aura as if fireflies rested on the tips of her fur. I was speechless, I simply stood there with my mouth open taking in the view of the divine being. She reminded me of something I had drawn in my sketchbook at home, but I never thought it could really exist. I felt like I should kneel or something but that'd be weird.