Chapter 5

Eleanor

I could feel the nervous tension rolling off of Luke as he pulled up to the kerb a few blocks down from his mothers and her fiancé house, we hoped out the car, I fell up the gutter cursing wearing cork high heel sandals.
Luke smoothed down his already pristine white shirt, whilst Aiden attempted to control his hair, Colin looked around nervously fixing the cuff of his jacket while Braden looked completely unconcerned and walked up the road to the house.

"You don't want to be here do you" I muttered to Luke I could tell, his jaw was tight, mouth in an annoyed line.

"Not particularly but I must pretend to be pleasant after all it's not every day my mother throws an engagement party" Luke replied his voice stony.

I squeezed his hand; he smiled at me holding my hand running his thumb across my knuckles. Luke held my hand the whole way up the path, a buzzing energy passed through us; I felt small butterflies in my stomach. What the hell was that? I thought grateful when Braden knocked on the door and Luke let go of my hand.
The grey large wooden door opened up, there stood in the doorway obviously Luke's mother. I very nearly flinched from the fake delight plastered on her heavily make-up covered face, she wore a tight white dress and I could tell she was obviously trying to look younger, I could hear the chatter inside and see many older women with fake blonde hair and plastic surgery laughing to their husbands and their friends.
"Luke! You made it come in my dear boy!" She stated her voice hitching as she held the door open "Oh these must be your friends I've heard so much about."

Luke looked as though he was about to either vomit or throw a tantrum, a man of around fifty in a grey business suit with greying brown hair, plastered a smile to his face as he held Mrs Harris around the waist.

"You must be Eleanor, I'm so delighted to meet you I'm Jade" Mrs Harris muttered she grasped me into a hug and I nearly sneezed as her too sweet perfume hit me.

"How are you Luke good to see you again!" the man who must be Phillip muttered, Luke shook his hand and smiled slightly I could see the muscles in his arms tense.

Aiden, Colin and Braden had helped themselves to the wine and were standing around awkwardly until Colin muttered something and they disappeared outside. "Luke! Luke! Oh my goodness is that my brilliant grandson" An old hunched woman with startlingly blue eyes made her way over to Luke on a walker.

"Nan" Luke muttered his voice was full of warmth as he hugged the older lady; I smiled and went to move away when the older lady caught my hand.

"Hello dear. Luke are you going to introduce this gorgeous girl to me or not" she babbled gazing up at me.

"This is Eleanor one of my work mates and good friend" Luke muttered his Nan whacked his side with surprising strength

"Good friend what is that code for a girlfriend!" Luke's Nan laughed "I'm Margery love, if he hasn't admitted he loves you yet you should drop him!"

Luke turned red "Nan...nan she is only my friend" Luke stammered.

"Well no wonder when you're blushing like a beetroot in front of her" Margery chortled.

I let out a laugh "I don't think I've ever seen Luke blush before" I teased.
Luke looked at me and raised an eyebrow looking deeply embarrassed grabbed my hand kissing his Nan on the cheek and dragging me away.

"Nice to meet you love!" She called after us as Luke dragged me up a hallway avoiding possible other family members and out into the backyard with its too green grass, large wooden deck out to where Aiden, Colin and Braden were sitting on black wooden chairs chatting.