Overcoming

Current timeline, 3 months later.

Warlock took the stand, addressing all the fresh faced pilots ready for their chance to be a Top Gun Graduate.
"Top Gun was created to teach ACM. Air Combat Maneuvering. Better known as Dogfighting. You're here because you're the top one percent of all naval aviators. You're the elite, the best of the best. We're gonna make you better. You will be put through a series of tests, each pilot or team to come out on top will receive points. The pilot or team with the most points at the end will get their name on that plaque. However, there are no points for second place. Every moment counts."

Warlock paused a moment, looking towards the back of the room and making eye contact with me. He nodded gently, giving me the signal. I pushed off the wall, slowly making my way down the aisle.

"Your instructor is a very accomplished pilot. Graduated top of her Top Gun class in 2015, four confirmed combat kills, a legacy in the history of Top Gun graduates, and personally, one of my favorite people to work with. Please welcome Y/n Blackwood-L/N. Call-sign? Wolf."

I approached the podium and looked around at all the pilots. There was a mix of reactions. A group of three boys whispered to each other, smirks on their faces. The two women smiled and seemed to engage themselves more in my presence. The rest of them looked either uninterested or exhausted.

"Good morning aviators. I am excited to be welcomed in as an instructor this year. As previously mentioned by Warlock, you will be put through a series of tests, instructed and evaluated by me. Assisting me for the first week, an equally as accomplished pilot, Jake Seresin. Call-sign? Hangman."

I smiled as the familiar smirking man walked up to the podium and stood next to me.
"Good morning." He spoke, the largest and most mischievous smirk on his face.

"You are all dismissed, we will reconvene at 0900 for briefing."

The chatter between the pilots rose as they gathered their things and left the room. I saw them forming their little cliques even as they walked out the door.

Once they all left, I turned to face Hangman, who also turned to me with a smile. We embraced each other in a happy hug. He picked me up and shook me around roughly, causing me to laugh.

"It's so good to see you." Hangman sighed, putting me down on the ground.

"I know. I'm very happy to have some company." I hummed as we headed for the designated instructors cafeteria. Hangman held every door open for me on the way.

"That's right. When did Bradshaw leave?" He asked.

"About 3 weeks ago."
Rooster had gotten deployed out on a stealth mission about two months after the previous mission ended. He had been my crutch the last couple months while I was recovering physically. He did everything I asked of him. If I even looked cold he jumped up to get a blanket just in case I need it.

Being around so much I found myself visiting Maverick very often. Spending time together outside of flying was beneficial to our relationship. We got to know so much more about each other. Maverick, Rooster and I had a sit down talk about our relationships and how everyone was feeling. It seemed like nobody could come to an agreement until Rooster pulled Maverick aside to talk to him privately. I still don't know what he said, but it seemed to do the trick.

Living with someone is a big jump for any relationship. We definitely had our fits, but rooster and I made it work. I had become closer to him, closer than I had thought because now that he was gone, I was struggling with maneuvering around his empty house.

"Are you still living with him?" The questions Hangman asked were short and he didn't seem that interested in knowing. It seemed to me like he was just trying to make conversation.