Chapter One

Part One 

Heavy, that's what the haze felt like anyways. Images blurred together until they formed pictures I could distinguish, and recognize. My heart knew it had been happening again deep down, but my head fell into the trick of it. Maybe because even with how they always seemed to end, even with the illusion and the deception of it, I still had a chance to see her.

"Hey, rise and shine." I heard Luz's voice before a pillow was thrown at my face startling me awake. I got up, took the pillow, and tossed it back at her. She caught it before chuckling to herself. "Come on, let's get breakfast before I go out on my supply run." She said and I groaned, dragging myself out of bed.

Getting up I approached Luz as she held the door open and we both made our way toward the building that held the mess hall. On our way there I looked around and waved to members of the community exchanging good mornings. Passing by Gus, I smiled at him as he was checking things off on a clipboard. Though when he looked up at me his image flickered, his smile becoming a frown before going back.

I stopped in my tracks and turned to look back at Luz. "What's wrong Amity?" She asked me and I felt my stomach turn.

"I..." I started but was cut off as Hunter approached us with his usual smile.

"Just finished packing for the supply run. Ready to go when you are." He told Luz before directing his attention to me. "Hey, Edric wanted to say goodbye before he left," Hunter informed me and my brows furrowed.

"What?" I was confused.

"Hey, Mittens!" I heard Edric's familiar voice shout. I turned to see him with that big smile on his face I'd missed so much.

"Edric, I thought you were dead," I stated while taking a step forward.

"I'm not dead Amity. I'm still here," he pointed his finger toward my head, " and I'm still here." He then pointed to my heart. "Besides, you gotta give me more credit than that. Did you actually see me die?" He asked me with a chuckle but this all felt wrong. Like this wasn't happening, wasn't real.

"No," I said, taking another step back and looking toward Luz. She'd know what was wrong. She'd know what to do.

"Then maybe I'm still alive. Did you think of that?" Edric tried to gain my attention back but my eyes were on Luz. I took a few steps closer to her and Edric droned on. "No, of course not. You're always thinking too far ahead. Your mind is in the future instead of the present." As he said this a memory surfaced. I looked at Luz and saw her image change. Her eyes turned red and her hands were clenched by her sides.

This let me know he was right. Thoughts and flashes of the recent present come to me all at once. Luz had been shot with a tranquilizer and so had I. Gus, and Matt, had betrayed us. And the last thing I remembered was crawling to her before I had blacked out and ended up where I was now. "Be careful what you wish for Amity," Luz said.

I wish to get this all over with already. Those words echoed across my mind. At this, my eyes snapped open and I jumped up breathing heavily with sweat on my forehead. In a state of panic, I began to look around me seeing I had still been in the same cell I woke up in a month ago.

Looking down I saw that my shirt had remained to be the one they replaced with that dawned the symbol of the group I had found so dauntingly familiar. My heart dropped at the situation and state I had still found myself in. Because of these dreams, these nightmares actually, had been haunting me every night since I first woke up here. And there were still too many unknowns; where Luz was within these walls, what they were doing with her, and if she was safe kept me up and restless.

With what little sleep I did manage to get something I wouldn't consider peaceful. And I heard a buzz, one that had begun to sound like nails on a chalkboard, one that came with a new face I'd come to know and recognize. With that Raine finished coming down the hall and approached my cell with a warm smile. They always did this but I'd never be so foolish to let my guard down around anyone.