Chapter Nine

Part Two

Luz

"Amity!" I shouted as she cut the rope and I watched her fall. Emira began to slip but I tightened my grip on the rope and pulled her back up. I felt tears sting the corner of my eyes as I began to breathe heavily. My heart squeezed in my chest and I felt everything slow. My whole world shattered around me and I couldn't think, I couldn't breathe. But then the building shifted once more and I knew we couldn't stay here much longer or we'd both fall too.

I wasn't in the state, emotionally or mentally, to save us if I stayed this way. I closed my eyes and pushed away that scared, heartbroken human part of me that was holding us back from getting out of this alive. I needed to protect Emira so when I opened my eyes again I felt nothing but the determination to do so. My veins returned to their visual state and I felt my humanity slip with it.

"Luz! We have to go now!" I heard Emira's voice call out in fear. My vision flickers from red to clear. I couldn't remember how I got down here with Emira as my mind slowly brought me back. I'd let that part of me take control and I knew I shouldn't have but I also knew how much I needed to. I was only supposed to turn in situations like this one and though it had been done with good intentions that doesn't change how wrong it felt. I hated that part of myself. Even when it helped me to do good things. I shook myself back to the present moment to see Emira struggling to get up as the flooding water slowly rose behind her. The car she'd been on top of was not tall enough to make it any easier for her.

"Come on," I stepped forward before hooking my arms underneath hers and pulling her up onto the roof of the bus with me. "I've got you," I said before placing my hands back to my side and clenching them tightly. When I looked at Emira I saw a flash of a different image of her and my lips twitched upward before falling back down. Unclenching my hands I felt that they were shaking violently and I looked down at them only to see blood covering them. This sent me stumbling back in fear. When I brought them back up the blood had been gone yet my heart was still racing, nearly beating out of my chest.

Though my attention shifted to the side once I heard something loud. Turning I noticed a car in the water growing closer to our location. I rushed over to Emira almost tripping, my leg injury flaring up slightly even with the pill I'd taken earlier when I'd almost got caught by... I shook my head. I couldn't think of her or I'd break down. I had to believe she was fine in order to save her sister. "Go!" I screamed, turning Emira around and shoving her forward as we ran across the bus.

The car slammed into it a moment later, splitting it. Emira turned around, stumbling forward as I leaped from my half to the one she now stood on. My chest slammed hard onto its surface before I started to slide off. My hand caught on a piece of metal as the bus started to tilt over from all the weighted pressure of the water and debris crashing against it. I could feel the water rising up my right leg slowly moving to my left as the bus tilted further to the side.

"Luz!" I heard Emira scream before sliding on her stomach and hovering over the side of the to look at me. "Here, take my hand!" She shouted before offering out one of her hands. A sound came from below me and I looked forward and inside the bus being overtaken with water. I saw monsters mixing in with it and heading my way. With my open hand, I reached up and gripped a pipe attached to the ceiling that acted as a handrail for passengers to hold.

"I can pull myself up," I yelled up at Emira. Something else crashed into the side of the bus leading her to almost slip off before she caught herself. "Just get to that building and I'll take care of myself!" I spoke roughly as the strain began to set in. As she went to argue my vision grew red meaning my eyes had to of portrayed the same. "Go now!" I ordered in a dark voice and she fell back before nodding her head aggressively and moving along the roof of the bus away from my sight.