002 | A Wish Come True

After having written her application letter to the beloved school she had wished to attend, she buried it near the Wishing Tree. She didn't believe in fairy tales or magic trees, but the desperate wish for a loving life made her hope her beliefs were false.

Y/N Chestnut had nothing to do in life, which is why she hated time. She wanted an answer from the hopefully existing school as fast as possible, but sadly, she knew that that would not be possible, which is why she decided to walk around the forest to make time go faster.

The girl loved to walk around the forest. There were no sounds of obnoxious people, no sounds of pigs getting slaughtered, and no sounds of people dying because of the toxic fumes the new factory released. It was the only time she could listen to her thoughts without being disturbed, and she had a lot of them.

In fact, she had so much thought and imagination that once the sun had fallen and the moon shone brightly in all its glory, she still wasn't done. She simply couldn't stop imagining all the delicious foods she could eat, how her hair would finally be shiny and beautiful instead of the matted and mouldy hair she had now, how she'd finally be able to wear clean and beautiful clothes, and how she'd finally be able to have friends and possibly a family where she could be accepted and find love.

After all, it was the school where all fairy tales come from, and what's a fairy tale without true love? She couldn't wait to have a lover, a beautiful prince who would care for her for the rest of her life, who would love her and make her feel accepted.

Sadly for Y/N, her imagination was suddenly interrupted by a shift in the sky; it wasn't as black as her fingers, which were stained by coals anymore; no, it had changed to a deep red colour, a colour you weren't supposed to see in the sky, and it somehow frightened her.

Y/N didn't like situations she couldn't decipher on her own, and this was clearly one of those cases. She looked around in fear, noticing and hearing every little twig moving around. It didn't take long for her to quicken her pace and go to her safe wooden toilet.

She never made it back to her safe space; instead, the trees around her went wild, and a black shadow had taken her ankles and dragged her further into the woods, to a place she didn't recognize. She had screamed her lungs out and tried to hurt the shadow as much as she could, but of course, it wasn't possible to hurt a shadow.

She honestly thought she had scared the shadowy monster away with her loud voice once it let go of her, but later she realised it was foolish to think that was a realistic thought.

While dusting off the dirt that had gotten onto her ripped clothing to make it look less dirty than it already was. She sighed deeply, wishing her adventure for today would be over so she could process it all. Of course, like all those other times, no wish of hers ever came true. A gigantic bird constructed out of bones alone took a hold of her arms, a hold so tight that her arms began bleeding because of the nails that scratched her dirty skin.

The girl screamed at the top of her lungs, begging the bird to let go; she was so desperate that she tried to bite her way out. She didn't care about the height the creature had taken her to; she'd rather drop dead than be kidnapped by such a horrendous monster.

She was in such a panic she didn't even notice the new scenery she was brought in with: the two beautiful schools connected by a gigantic bridge, one as dark as the coals back home at Gavaldon, the other so white it could hurt your eyes if you had never seen such brightness before.

If it wasn't for the water, she wouldn't have stopped hyperventilating. The shock thankfully made her stop and look around, wondering if she had died and gotten into Hell. She never would've thought she'd end up in Hell because she'd never done anything wrong, at least not in her opinion given her circumstances. She wasn't surprised, sadly; her life had such bad luck that ending up in Hell would only be fitting.

She had stolen and hurt people in the past, if she had to believe all the town's people of Gavaldon she indeed would end up in Hell. Not that she could fact-check, she'd never been able to read a bible.

She looked around in horror, seeing other people all around her age walk out of the dirty water into the entrance of the surprisingly beautiful building. She was confused as to why only people of her age ended in this afterlife, after all, mostly elderly people died.

The girl didn't know what to do; all the people around her looked terrifying, and joining them in a scary yet beautiful building didn't seem like the safest thing to do. Her only option was to swim away and hope to find land soon, but it seemed like there wasn't any near, and drowning after having already died didn't seem like a lovely afterlife.

It turns out she didn't have a choice either way as she was quickly grabbed by her bleeding arm, making her flinch since the nails of the one who had captured her dug into her open wounds. She could've stayed quiet and watched where she'd end up, but since she had died and ended up here she didn't think any good could come from going inside that castle; assuming she would be tortured relentlessly.

 "Don't you dare touch me!" Let me go!'' She screamed as loud as she could, kicking and screaming around, it didn't take long for a second person to hold her still and drag her inside the building. Again, she tried to bite her way out of their grasp, but it didn't lead anywhere. It actually frightened her even more; instead of a grunt, she heard an annoyed growl come from the one she bit, making her look up and finally see her capturer—a gigantic wolf in armour.

This, however, didn't calm the fearful and panicked girl down. Instead of demanding that they let her go, she screamed without any words coming out. She kicked and used her whole body to hurt the wolves, who began digging their nails into her wounds deeper and deeper because of her troubles until she was finally thrown to the ground in the middle of a hallway.

The girl stood up and patted herself down again, acting like she had all this planned. "And don't you dare touch me ever again!" She finished off, hoping that anyone who watched her with disgust would think she had the upper hand in this situation.

The girl put her head up high and turned around, planning to find a sensible person around here; she couldn't be the only one.

Her plan, as usual, was shattered. She bumped into a wall and fell onto the ground again, only to look up and see an interesting red-headed, tall woman looking down at her with amusement on her face.

Y/N was intrigued by the woman and observed her carefully. She wore a grey suit with a tight-fitting trench coat above; she knew for sure what fit her best. She also held a bronze cane that matched the pocket watch that hung loosely against her waist. The woman had grey, siren-like eyes; she was clearly intimidating, and it was apparent she knew it herself. The woman had a certain aura that made it impossible for the girl to look away, an aura she had never experienced before.

"Are you supposed to be the Devil?" The girl wondered loudly; after all, she had ended up in Hell, and this woman seemed like she had authority around here. She didn't get an answer, sadly; instead, the woman laughed loudly. "The Devil? I am indeed evil, but giving me such a title would be a bit overboard, don't you think?" This answer didn't give Y/N Chestnut any information about her situation; instead, it made her even more confused than she already was.

"Dear, you wished to come here yourself; how can you be confused about where you are? You must be an idiotic brat to assume you ended up in Hell.''