15. walking the dog

"was it busy at the cafe yesterday?" alice asked evan as they walked down the park path side by side.

"not really, it was raining all day anyway." he sighed, kicking rocks on the ground as they strolled, "enough talk about me though, just admit you like tobi, woman!"

alicd groaned, "are you serious?"

she turned to him and stared at his straight face for a moment before rolling her eyes and facing forward.

she turned to look away from him so he couldn't see her face.

"i really really like him."

evans mouth fell agape and he stopped walking. it slowly turned into a 'i told you so' smile, "i knew it!"

alice spun around and slapped his head, "shut up."

the walk carried on for a minute in silence, alice found herself not being able to stop thinking about tobi.

evan looked over to alice to see her in thought, smiling to herself.

-

"tobii.." alice cooed as he answered the face time call, dragging out the 'i'

"alicee.." he replied, his screen black.

"where are you?"

"bedroom. in darkness." he turned the light on and greeted the girl with a toothy grin, his face very close to the camera.

alice smiled back softly and slumped onto the couch, lifting her phone back to her face.

"you're very pretty alice." tobi sighed.

alice froze, she didn't know how to reply to compliments.

"thanks..." she smiled sweetly and the turned the camera away from herself, slapping her own face with a grimace.

"you ok?" tobi laughed.

"yeah i just dropped my phone!" she yelled, a little too loud.

alice picked her phone back up and spluttered, "i gotta go, take my dog on a walk!"

she ended the call and cringed at herself, "i don't even have a dog."

cat crawled up her leg and purred, laying in the girls lap.

"whatever cat."

-

alice woke up from her nap to the sound of a doorbell.

she dragged herself to the door and opened it, peeking through the crack.

"hi alice!" josh smiled.

alice sighed with relief and placed a hand on her chest, "thank fuck."

josh raised an eyebrow and alice continued, "thought you'd be tobi."

"you literally invited me over earlier," josh said, pausing as he processed what alice had just said, "what's wrong? you fall out?"

"no im just hiding from him.." alice squinted, looking around outside cautiously before letting josh inside.

she grabbed the boys wrist and pulled him over to the couch to sit down next to her.

she stared at the floor in silence before turning to look at josh, "i like tobi. please help."

josh's eyes widened and he stared back in silence, not blinking for around twenty seconds.

"do you want a relationship?" he asked, walking around the room as he thought.

alice stayed quiet, considering his question. "i think i do.. yeah."

josh nodded, "why are you hiding from him again?"

she groaned, "don't. he called me pretty."

the boy raised an eyebrow, "so? that's a good thing."

alice whipped her head around to josh, "not really, because i can't take compliments. i stuttered and started talking shit and then ended the call."

"ah."

alice rolled her eyes.

"you could come home with me and just start talking to him normally as if it never happened."

the girl stared at josh for a moment before laughing, "you really think tobi would let me get away with that?"

josh nodded with an eye roll in agreement, "fine, why don't you just actually tell him how you feel, or atleast compliment him back?"

alice narrowed her eyes in thought, "i could do one of those.... ok ill come home with you."

***
go josh go josh