Chapter Four: The Verdict

The Justice League, minus Batman and Wonder Woman, were gathered in the empty court room. Danny floated above the others, knees held to his chest, chin rested on top of his knees, and gazing despondently out the window. Eyes glued to the asteroids where a planet once was.

More specifically, the moon.

The planet is gone. It should be gone.

So then why is the moon still there? With the gravitational pull of Adjoris-4 gone after it's destruction, the moon should have drifted away, with nothing left to keep it there. Yet it stays, and it looks like it's still in orbit even!

"How is the moon still there?", mumbled Danny quietly to himself, unable to shake this feeling he had about the whole thing, "It should have drifted away by now."

He did mean for anyone to hear him. But thanks to his super hearing, Superman heard Danny loud and clear. He looked up to the moon and agreed with the ghost's skeptism and confusion.

Something isn't right. And Superman wanted to know what.

"Three billion gone.", Flash said solemnly, "I can't believe it."

"Neither can I.", Superman said determinedly, "I want to take a closer look at what happened."

"Why?", Danny heard Hawkgirl's voice down below him, "John admits he's guilty, no one is disputing the facts."

"Maybe I am.", Superman responded stubbornly,"J'onn I need you to come with me, Flash, Hawkgirl, and Danny, you think you can buy us sometime at the court?"

Danny's ears perked up and he looked down at Superman with wide eyes, they would've just left him. They actually did in similar situations. But Superman had faith in his friend. And Danny will trust that faith.

"You're asking the fastest man in the world to slow things down?", Flash says unsurely, "Won't be easy."

Danny floated down, joining the others.

"Ironic even, but that actually sounds fun when you put it like that.", Danny comments, giving the heroes a small smile, "I usually annoy my enemies, I'm kind of curious what annoying a court would be like."

..........................................................................................................

"John Stewart, you may question your accuser.", the middle head announced once the court was back in session.

Danny sat in between Flash and Hawkgirl, watching as only Green Lantern Kanjar-Ro were the only ones up on floating platforms.

"No questions.", was Green Lantern's stoic reply.

Danny shared panicked and worried looks with Hawkgirl and Flash.

"None?", the right head said in disbelief, "Don't you intend to defend yourself?"

"No, I don't."

He sounded so heartbroken and defeated and Danny felt a strong pain shoot through his chest in turn. It could be panic, worry, or fear for his newly made friend.

The aliens were muttering frantically in the pews, Danny just wasn't sure what to do, the trial seems to be over before they could really do anything.

Of course, Flash decided to prove the halfa wrong.

"I object!", Flash shouts, "You call this a trial? I say it's a joke!"

What is he doing!? They can't help if they're kicked out!

Hawkgirl seemed to have the same thought, reaching over Danny and pulling Flash down back in his seat with a harsh tug.

"Are you out of your mind?", Hawkgirl whispered, "What do you think you're doing?"