TWO

- Second Chapter -
Fatima Stevens.
December 2nd

I sat in my car furious, it was snowing like crazy and I could not find a way to get the the Airbnb.

It was already the second day of the trip I had missed, I was so irritated that he would leave me.

I was literally 2 minutes late and next thing I know he went to the airport without me and got on the early flight.

I took the next flight and he didn't even bother to pick me up from the airport, I got a rental car and I've been driving for a day now.

Sometimes I question Hayden and I's relationship but he really has my heart in his hands.

I think I don't want to leave him because we've been together since middle school, he was my first everything.

He's all I know, but when he started working at the law firm with Andi it's like he started changing.

He's been working there for 7 years now so you could imagine how I've been battling with all the stress.

As I was driving my car stopped infront of a store, I hit the steering wheel with force. My phone had died and I don't have a charger.

I got out the car and went into the store, well it was a sheriff department, when I got in I noticed a man. "Damn," he jumped up.

"Hi?" He cleared his throat and said in more of a question tone, "Hi," I said defeated, "What are you doing out there?"

"I am looking for lake glee land." I informed him, "Oh you're about 5 miles away." He said shrugging.

"Oh okay, which way is it please?" I was in desperate need of my husband and girls. "It's up the mountain."

I turned but he stopped me," You're not gonna get up there tonight." He said. "I grew up in Chicago, I'll be alright."

"No ma'am we have a couple of trees up there, you're not gonna get through. They'll be cleared by morning."

My mouth dropped, "Its already been 2 days I need to get there." , "You can't."

"So there's no other way?" I asked and he shook his head, "No sorry." He said nonchalantly.

I sighed and took a seat, "Are you with the group here for the couples retreat." I nodded, "Yea."

"Is there a hotel?" He chuckled, "Yes but it's up the mountain as well." Damn what's not up the mountain.

"I can offer you a cell until morning, it's not much but it'll keep you warm." I looked behind him at the cell.

I thought for a moment, never in life have I ever stepped foot in a jail cell. I shrugged, "Okay."

"Can I get you something to drink, coffee?" , "Yes please."

I looked around with a scared face, "I've never been in jail before." He laughed again, "Well technically you still haven't."

"I didn't actual arrest you," he shot me a smile as he handed me my coffee. "I'm Zachary by the way."

"Fatima," I shook his hand, "Nice to meet you, welcome to Iceland." I took a sip of coffee and thanked him.

"So uh, what's a black man doing up here in this country." I asked, "Country huh?" I laughed and nodded.

"I'm a army brat I was born here, came back when my dad got sick. This is his store actually." So it is a store.

"How's your dad now?" I asked out of curiosity, im a very nosy person. "He actually died last year."

"I'm so sorry." I said quickly, "It's alright, he lived his life to this fullest."

I coughed, "Some wrong with the coffee?" He asked and I nodded, "It's a little bitter." I explained.

"So tell me something. Why are you driving up to a couples retreat alone?" I rolled my eyes thinking about it.

"Um I missed my flight, I was working and my husband left without me." I admitted, he looked at me weirdly.

"Why would he leave- you know what I'm going to mind my business." He corrected himself, "No say it."

"Why wouldn't he stay with you, I wouldn't want my wife travelling alone." He said, "You married?"

"Divorced." I nodded staring at him, "You hungry?" He asked, "Don't I look hungry?" I asked with a laugh.

"What's that supposed to mean?" I looked at him, "Come on don't act like you don't see that I'm a big girl."

I admit I am a little overweight, well that's what Hayden says. However I do know that I'm fine as hell and a goddess at that.

He gave me a crazy ass look, "Big? Fatima please you're not big at all. Why would you ever think that, look at you."

I tried to hide my blush, "Look I got some chili if you want some, it's a family recipe."

"Okay fine."