Birthday?

3/20

"Wyd rn?"

Cat flipped her phone over to find the reason it vibrated was a text from Tree. She subconsciously smiled and picked it up to respond to him. She slipped from behind the counter to hide away from all the customers. She snuck into the back by the produce cooler and sat down on the bags of potatoes.

"I'm at work. You?"

"Work <."

"Yeah I know. Answer my question 🙄"

"I'm just at home."

"Must be nice. Any customers there?"

"None. You should come over."

"I would but yknow- work."

"Done at seven?"

"Eight. New hours cause of my birthday. Exploit em when they turn 21!"

"Hhh."

"Yeah I know, try being the one to work it."

"You're 21 now?"

"Yeah? Didn't you know that?"

"Cat."

"Tree."

"I missed your birthday?"

"I don't really like my birthday anyway."

"Did I miss your birthday yes or no."

"Yes."

"When was it?"

"March 15th why?"

"Cat are you serious right now?"

"No 🙄 definitely lying about my birthday."

"I seriously missed your birthday."

"It's not a big deal, I already said I don't like celebrating it."

"You did all that on my birthday and you expect me to be fine when I completely forgot yours?"

"I never told you my birthday."

"Even worse."

"Tree it's fine really."

"No it's not."

"Tree. It's. Fine."

"No. It's. Not."

Cat shook her head. She really didn't like celebrating her birthday. She only bought some books for herself as a gift and that was enough for her. She didn't understand why he was making such a big fuss.

"Whatever."

"Not whatever. I'm celebrating your birthday with you."

"Do it next year."

"You know damn well that's too long Cat."

"Fine."

"When are you free?"

"Friday till Sunday I have nothing going on."

"Come over Friday night then."

"Alright."

She stuffed her phone into her smock pocket and rubbed at her face as she sighed. She heard the deli bell ringing in the back. She got up and continued through the back to get into the kitchen to help the customer. Hopefully they didn't ask about the chicken, it had run out at noon and the baker left at nine this morning.

She put on her best customer serving smile as she walked out of the double doors. She pulled on a pair of gloves as she walked up to face them.

"What can I cut for you today?" She asked, trying to keep her voice cherry and assertive.