Chapter 12

Lizzie's POV: I drove around the park and just held my daughter for what felt like hours, letting her cry while I apologized and told her I loved her over and over again before she finally calmed down. I even had to refrain myself several times from just picking up the phone and calling Josie for advise. I'm honestly not sure of what to make of Sophie's behavior.

I knew things could've gone very badly if Hope hadn't intervened at the aquarium, but now things were only getting worse. 

It was hard enough being with my daughter again knowing that I would have to say goodbye when it was all over, but now it felt like new battle lines were being drawn. Hope had been my one real connection to my other family in New Orleans, and now even that link seemed strained. I usually had a very clear picture of what the future would look like, but now I felt more confused than I had in years.

Now I wasn't sure what the future would look like, or if I even deserved to see it. 

Looking in the rearview mirror, I sighed in relief, noticing that Sophie finally fell asleep. I took the time to memorize every curve of my daughter's face, and the way the afternoon sun set her blonde hair on fire. I wasn't sure what to expect the next few weeks, but the only thing I was sure of was that Sophie's future was dependent on my survival through the storm that was coming.  

Driving around the block, I took the time to exchange the stolen car for one with all four windows intact, one that was purchased legally. Thankfully, Sophie stayed asleep as I maneuvered her car seat into the new car and carefully buckled her in, brushing my hand over her forehead. She felt warm. Almost feverish. I was worried my baby may have gotten herself sick.

I had sung myself hoarse while I tried to calm her down, but now I had only the silence of my own thoughts to distract me as I started circling the parking lot, waiting for Hope. I tried to ignore the nagging feeling that this was all her fault. I wanted to stay angry with Hope, but I couldn't even remember what it was that I had been angry about. 

I took slow, gentle turns, hoping to lull Sophie toward more peaceful dreams.

There was only seven other cars in the parking lot, and I could see that the cracked lane leading around the store, a service lane for the delivery trucks, led to an alley. It could serve as another means of quick escape, should the need arise, through now I was sure I was just getting anxious. No one could possibly find us so quickly. I just needed to relax and forget the way my daughter had looked at me as I tried to calm her down, so heartbroken and betrayed. I couldn't bare to see her in pain.

It made me want to cry. 

I took a deep breath and glared toward the entrance, humming to myself as I made yet another pass, growing impatient. 

I was both relieved and filled with dread when Hope finally appeared on the curb, looking stoic and unimpressed as ever as I pulled up to her, several feet away from the entrance. I kept my eyes on her, looking for any clue to tell me what she could be thinking. 

Hope had a cart full of groceries, though she stood with her hands thrust into her jacket pockets. She didn't comment on the new car. She didn't comment on the uncertainty that made me stand a few feet further away from her instead of invading her personal space. She didn't comment on the uncomfortable tension that had sprung up between us. She just simply glanced up at the sky. 

"The kid asleep", she asked me as if she could see for herself. 

She held out her hand, expectantly.

I sighed and handed over the keys, saying nothing. 

"We need to talk, Lizzie", Hope said when she finally lowered her eyes and slipped the keys into her jacket pocket.