Chapter 5: The Occupation

The Ghost drops from hyperspace as they began their approach to Yavin 4. the rebels were in the cockpit, and Leo stood in the back, reading over the information his clansmen were sending him.

Ezra and Mako were fast asleep in the back seats, "We're coming up on Yavin 4. Sabine transmits the clearance codes." Hera orders, Sabine nods "Roget that." she answers and steps over to the control panel.

Ezra twitches in his sleep as Mako flinches, Leto tilts his head at Mako, knowing she wasn't just sleeping.

Then both jump awake as they heard the sound of the chiming, "No!" both shouted and fell from their chairs.

Everyone turns to them, "Ezra? Mako?" Kanan calls out, Leo helps Mako back into her chair as he kneels next to Ezra.

Both were running their hand over their face and just exhales, "I saw Old Jho. I heard Ryder." Ezra answers. "The state of Lothal. All the horrible things the Empire is doing to our home." Mako answers and both exchange looks.

Then looks to the others, "We think they're in trouble." Ezra answers and Kanan just frowns at them. "We've talked about this, you two. It's just your anxiety about Lothal," he informs them.

Ezra shot to his feet, "It's never in the briefings anymore. No one mention mentions it. We promised Ryder we'd go back." Ezra informs them. "And then Thrawn ambushed our fleet." Hera reminds them.

The two just ran their hands over their heads. "The people are suffering. The planet is suffering, Hera. We're stronger than we've ever been. And we still won't go back and help our home. I don't think I can stay with the Rebellion if we can't help one planet." Mako snaps.

Hera just frowns at her, "Everyone and everywhere is suffering, Mako. You need to be patient." she informs her. Mako scoffs as she turns away. "I do have patience, Hera. I just refuse to let fear control me anymore." with that Mako marches out of the room.

Ezra frown as he crosses his arms and turns away from them, Sabine looks at Hera, knowing they were right. "I'll go talk to her," Leo answers as he steps after Mako, leaving the cockpit.

Hera just frowns as she turns back to the controls, entering the atmosphere of the planet.

Leo steps through the door, seeing no trace of Mako in the lounge, he steps out and looks up the ladder, seeing that she was sitting in the turret above them.

He sighs and climbs his way up and stood next to her, Leto chirps at him, making Leo smile at him "Go away, Leo." she mutters, but he just looks at her. "Yeah, you're not going to get rid of me that easy." he jokes.

Mako just huffs in annoyance, "Come on, talk to me." he starts, and she turns her head and just looks at him. Leto snuggles into her shoulder and naps. Their eyes locked for a moment then she leans back and sighs to herself.

"Everyone wants me and Ezra to focus on the bigger picture, but the only thing I can focus on is Lothal. That was my home. I know the lands like the back of my hand and I can't just abandon it as everyone can with theirs." she rants and looks away.

Leo just nods at her, "Did you know I was born in the outskirts of the Capital?" he spoke, and she looks back at him. "Yeah, a few hundred clicks from the city to the North. Perfect place to go hunting. Never got that chance. It was supposed to be a rite of passage for my clan." he spoke.

Mako just looks at him, "I don't blame you for being upset about Lothal, I get where you're coming from. And I know there's nothing I can do to change your mind or calm you down." he said, then places his hand on her leg.

She flicks her eyes right to his hand, her heart fluttering then back to him. "But we can't let our anger get the better of us, the enemy can use it well. Believe me," he tells her.