Chapter seventeen

"Um friends?"

Will was confused now.

He nods in disappointment.  Mike looks away from him. 

Why did you say that?  You're so stupid.  He thought to himself.

"Uh we should probably get to class before we get detention."  Will says awkwardly.  He picks his backpack up off the floor and walks out of the bathroom, leaving Mike there.

Mike was mad.  Not at Will, but himself.  He wanted to be more then friends but he was to scared.  He was scared that Lonnie would hurt Will even more and he didn't want to be the reason for that.

He probably thinks you were lying to him now! Mike thought angrily to himself.

He took a deep breath and grabbed his backpack.

The rest of the day was boring to both boys.  There was tension between them and it was awkward.  They talked a little bit but it was still awkward.

They walked out of school together after the final bell had rung.

"Um is someone picking you up?"  Mike asks him.  Will nods.

"I want to talk to you about what happened earlier."  Mike was the first one to bring up the topic.  Will stiffness a little and they walk out of the building.  Wills mom or father weren't there yet.

"We don't have to.  It's fine if we're friends."  Will says dully.

"Come here."  Mike grabs Wills arm and leads them to the side of the school.  There was less people, plus he could keep an eye on the parking lot.

"What now Mike?"  Will asks annoyed.  Mike sighs.

"Will I do want to be more then friends.  But it's not that easy and you know that."  Mike says seriously.  Will nods. 

As much as he wouldn't admit it, he did know that if he was with Mike there would be a lot of issues and struggles. 

"I want you to know that I do really like you, and I do want to be with you.  It's just difficult and I don't want to put you in danger."  Mike says softly.  Will subconsciously grabs Mikes hand.

"If you're talking about my father, regardless if we're together or not he'll hurt me anyway.  Besides we can hide it."  Will tries to convince him.  Mike looks at Will in the eyes.

"It's dangerous Will."  Mike repeats.

"I don't care if we're just friends Mike."  Will says seriously, "because I do want you to be safe.  I just wish you would have told me all this sooner."

"I'm sorry Will."  Mike whispers, "I want to be with you so much.  I promise in the future we can be, but I need to make sure you're safe first."

"I'm not sure I'll be able to wait that long."  Will grins jokingly.  Mike laughs and hold Will's hand tighter.

"Me too."  He admits.

Will looks over to the parking lot and saw his moms car with his father driving.  Will quickly pulls his hand away from Mike.

"I have to go.  Um I'll see you tomorrow."  Will smiles at him and begins to walk away.