Chapter 20

Monday was finally here and I was trying to not get my hopes to high that Paul would be back today

Monday was finally here and I was trying to not get my hopes to high that Paul would be back today. I still have yet to hear from him and it's killing me inside. We have never gone one day without talking. I was missing him something terrible.

Instead of asking Leah to give me a ride like the past week, I decided to take my bike. If you couldn't tell by now, I do not drive. I have a terrible fear of driving.

When I got to school, I looked around for his truck but did not see it anywhere. I was hoping that I was just early but who knows. Wanting to tune out the world around me, I stuck my earphones in and blasted the music on my phone on shuffle.

Today was not one of my mornings with Jared and for that I was thankful. I don't think I could concentrate even if I wanted to. My brain seemed to have been slowing down over the past week.

Before heading to my first class, I went to the restroom. Right as I went to open up my stall door after flushing, I stop at something particular that a few girls were talking about.

"Did you see Paul?"

"Oh my gosh, I know! He's gone a week and comes back even hotter than before."

What do they mean hotter?

"I tell you what, his girlfriend better watch out. If she thought it was bad enough with how girls were throwing themselves at him before. It's going to be even worse now."

"Tell me about it. I was and still will be one of those girls. Paul Lahote is the hottest guy on the rez. Paul is going to ditch her sooner or later."

"We'll see."

When I hear them leave I come out of the stall and stare at the door. I wasn't really surprised about them talking about throwing themselves at him; that I was use to. But him becoming hotter? I didn't know what they were talking about but the thing I care about most is that he's back, but why wouldn't he tell me he was?

On my way to my class I was looking in both directions to see if I could spot him, but I couldn't.

I met up with Leah on the way to the lunch room. "Did you hear about Paul being back?" I asked her. She rolled her eyes, "It's all the stupid girls keep talking about. He didn't tell you he wasn't coming back today?" I looked down shaking my head.

Before heading into the cafeteria, Leah grabs my arm stopping me. I turn to look at her to see what was going on. She doesn't even look at me but I follow her eyes and my heart skips a beat. At the end of the hallway walking this direction was Paul and now I could see what the girls were talking about.

 At the end of the hallway walking this direction was Paul and now I could see what the girls were talking about