Nightmare.

It's been weeks since Lexi had stayed with Newt. The first few nights were a bit rocky.

Newt offered Lexi his own single bed to take his place on the small red sofa infront of the fire place, but she kindly declined. Newt worked hard and Lexi thought he deserved more comfort than she did, especially for putting up with all of the creatures AND figuring out what she is. She didn't mind. Most nights she couldn't sleep anyhow. Though on the nights she did manage to drift to sleep, she was riddled and tormented by flashbacks and night terrors. Often waking up in tears in the middle of the night. Until a few nights ago, it got much worse...

Newt and Lexi had spent a normal evening helping Bunty downstairs in the basement before saying their goodbyes as she clocked off and left for home. They'd eaten dinner together, chatting and laughing as they both told stories. Lexi had occasional flashbacks of her past and they'd started trying to piece them together in the journal Newt had created. Newt had been laughing at a phrase that had come to her memory while hustling the moon calves back in their area.

"That was quite an expression, I think we should keep that one." He giggled before sipping his drink.

"It was a memory." She admitted in a daze as she smiled to herself.

"It was? Why didn't you tell me?" Newt asked her more seriously now as they sat across from each other.

"At first I didn't know. Then the more I repeated it in my head, the more I heard a voice- not my own, saying it. Then I realized.... It's a memory." She explained trying fight back tears.

"Who's voice was it? Did you remember?" He asked calmly, curiously.

Lexi sat quietly for a moment, swallowed hard and gave Newt a small smile before replying,

"My dad's."

Newt's eyes went softer, more sympathetic, if it were even possible!

"I'm so sorry.." Was all he could reply with.

She smiled at him and wiped a quick tear away.

"It's okay. It's not your fault." She said as she stood up to take their plates to the sink.

She collected his plate, but stopped for a moment when she noticed he was looking down, zoned out and deep in thought. She placed a hand on his shoulder gently to get his attention.

"Hey.." Lexi spoke in nearly a whisper.

Newts eyes flashed up to hers, and she caressed his face with one hand briefly.

"You're doing an amazing job. I just wanted you to know that." She smiled as her thumb gently brushed his freckled cheek.

Lexi brought the dishes to the sink and began washing them one by one before she heard the scratching of his pen as he wrote down everything she'd told him. Suddenly, the dishes lifted out of her hands as well as the sponge, beginning to clean themselves. She was startled at first, but turned around to see Newt standing with his wand in hand, and a small smirk.

"Do wizards run out of magic if they use it too much?" She chuckled and dried her hands on a nearby dish towel.

"Uh, no, I don't think it works that way." Newt smiled at the ground and put his wand away.

"What is it, Newt?" She asked quietly as she approached him slowly.

He cleared his throat,

"I just thought you could use a night off. You've been through enough and I read somewhere that doing too much or exhausting yourself when you've got amnesia could cause severe relapse and the last thing we need is for you to wake up and not remember me- uh- that came out wrong what I meant to say is-"