Chapter 22 - Charlotte

"Are you sure you want this colour of the roses, Charlotte? It might...blend in with the rest of the decorations," Nicholas furrowed his eyebrows as I looked at the flower arrangement of red, white and yellow along with a few more natural things in the mixture.

Every shop in town anticipates an announcement letter of our interest or our presence if we choose to get their help. Small businesses try their hardest and we show our appreciation by giving them the opportunity to do what we need so their stores wouldn't have to be shut down due to the lack of popularity. Seeing the thankful faces of the family members who were on the verge of bankruptcy is a reward on its own.

And although there were a few large businesses which were irreplaceable, I put out the idea of helping the small family ones to Nicholas and he happily agreed to go with my plan. He even came with me to those as we didn't want them to spend their money on a carriage.

That was one of the many things we came to agreement on. But choosing what we want as a duo sure is hard when we disagree.

"Yes, Nicholas. Those are the colours associated with me and my reign so I do not see the point of arguing over this."

"I am not trying to anger you, my lady," he whispered, taking a hold of my hand and kissing the back of it as he usually does. "If you truly want these then we can have them."

Lucky for me, he very much gave in to anything I suggested so the woman has the last word in our strange union.

"Thank you," I nod and turn my attention back to the shop owner who hasn't stopped grinning ever since we walked inside her shop. She waddled around the store with her large belly greeting us ahead of her but it seemed she had no problem moving around. "This arrangement is beautiful. I hope your child won't give you any trouble in the process."

"Two children actually, Your Majesty. I am only six months pregnant but the doctor has told me since I am so large already there is a big possibility of this being more than one child," she tells me, stroking her hand over her belly.

"Well I hope the two won't be troublemakers."

She snorts before covering her mouth, her cheeks going red before she starts to apologise. "Pardon my indecency, Your Majesty. I just- I already have two children and they were both offsprings of the lord under us. So I believe there will be some similarities in their childhoods. Especially if there are two."

I have to hold in my own unpleasant snort and only let out the giggle I have been taught to use at her explanation. "I must wish you good luck then. It sounds like you might need it with two times luck."

We chat more about our request before thanking her for her work and Nicholas links our arms together as we walk out of the door and into our fancy ride.

"How many weeks left until we are to walk down the aisle?" Nicholas questions when we sit down, our maids on the other side of us, pretending to mind their own but Alice always was and is a curious soul. If she were a dog her ears would be perked up from how hard she is listening.

"Four now." Only four weeks left of my freedom. Until I will be tied down to the brother of my lover. The woman who has been between my legs more times than I can count in the past few days since our day at the lake.

It looks like we quite enjoy spending our time there as not only did a kiss almost happen but now it was the place where I lost another part of my innocence to her. And it couldn't have been more perfect.

"I wish they could go by faster," he chuckles and I only manage to noticeably lift the corners of my lips, not saying anything in response.

Today was an exhausting day as I had an appointment with the tailor earlier today to get details settled on my wedding gown before I joined Nicholas in front of my palace so we could get to the rest of our planning.