Chapter 31 - Charlotte

I see the moment Nicholas' words settle in Alexandra's mind when her eyes lose all the emotion in them, her warm gaze disappearing behind a wall. It looks like her soul leaves her body for a second until her eyes find mine again, the wall shattering as things catch up to her.

"Charlotte?" She studies me, looking for more information as tears well up over her browns. I can't even respond to her, digging my face deeper into her neck to soothe whatever feelings that are rushing through my body.

Lord Mani clears his throat, pulling both of our attentions back to him. I don't let go of her. Not when I know the time we get to be together like this is now limited for now. Before they...

Alexandra notices my reluctance to turn so she does it for both of us, standing sideways so I don't have to do anything else than turn to look away from her skin.

I feel her muscles tense under my touch when I stroke the soft skin of her forearm, her posture straightening when she faces Lord Mani.

"Why are you the one telling us? Did you have something to do with this?" she snarls, her arms tightening around me in protection.

"No, love. It is not like that. He isn't the culprit behind this all," I try to assure her, my palms drawing circles on her back.

"He was the one who hinted at knowing a certain secret of mine during our one dance at your wedding, Charlotte. I wouldn't be surprised if it was that case." She laughs almost hysterically, staring daggers into the man who in truth has done nothing but make the right choice of coming here to inform us. It is an act of bravery the royal family shall never forget. No matter what happens.

"I have come here after I overheard an old gamekeeper trying to get into the official government building while I was there for business, whispering to the guard in panic the thing he has come across while making sure everything was all right on his land," Lord Mani cuts in, his voice sharp to stop Alexandra from making assumptions but the apology behind it is heard.

"What-" she is baffled and I don't blame her for forming an opinion too fast at the moment.

"As soon as I heard him mention your names and what he saw I made my way over to the palace and requested an urgent private meeting with His Majesty. He told me to wait up here for when you come back," he explained further, straightening out his suit when he stands up. "And for your information, we both have more in common than you might think, Lady Alexandra. Because I too would love to love openly. My dates in society do not compare to the ones I date away from the daylight. That is why I had my own suspicions about you. And I am sharing this in utter confidentiality because I know you will understand."

No one goes to cut the silence after that. Although I have to hide my shock from his confession while Alexandra takes the news in, keeping me locked in her arms.

"Our deepest apologies, Lord Mani. I hope one day you will be given the opportunity to love freely even if in secret like I did." I acknowledge his confession with a hint of a smile. "Do you have any other information about this matter?" I ask, digging up anything I can. I only got all of two minutes before Alexandra strode inside. There were too many questions hanging in the air above us to not be asked out loud.

He shakes his head. "I am sorry for not being able to provide more. I only heard the gamekeeper announce this while I walked by them. The guard looked sceptical when he told him that but eventually he was let in without any other word and then he shooed any other curious souls away from the corridor."

This became a lot messier than our relationship was just this afternoon. And to think the rabbit Alexandra saw in the forest was there just in time to be caught instead of the gamekeeper must be the greatest mishap to ever happen.