Chapter 4: A Forgotten Friend's Promise

"It happened again..." Wizard Cookie blinked in shock at the blind Cookie's face, now at peace. "That explosive spell from earlier. I've never seen anything like it!"

"B-But that other Cookie wasn't able to get away with her," Strawberry Cookie pointed out. "That's good...right?"

Just then, the ground began to rumble once more. "Uh, is it just me, or is that crack in the ground getting bigger and bigger?" Chili Pepper Cookie pointed out.

GingerBrave soon realized that they weren't out of danger yet. "GAH! The ground is falling apart! RUN!"

The Cookies bolted for it, the crack bringing down the whole bridge, of course, but then kept on stretching back down to the square, where it crumbled and fell, chunks of debris falling back to the surface.

The group watched the whole thing fall apart, aghast. "The whole square is gone...nothing's left," GingerBrave said breathlessly. "A few seconds later, and we would've been toast!"

"Meringue Cookie did THAT?" Chili Pepper Cookie gawked. "Okay, YEAH, maybe Black Raisin Cookie was onto something when she said we need to bump her off."

"No!" Healer Cookie blurted apprehensively. When the other Cookies stared at him, he attempted to explain himself. "Please...I know you all must be confused or scared, but she feels the exact same way."

"That could've been us down there!" Chili Pepper Cookie shouted. "If she has another meltdown and we're caught in the middle of it, then what?! We'll all be crumbs!"

Healer Cookie was getting desperate, holding the tiny Cookie's body closer to him. "You just don't understand..."

"And you do?" Wizard Cookie asked dubiously. "Need I remind you, even if it's by a small margin, we've known her longer."

"But do you, really?" Healer Cookie argued. "None of us know anything about Meringue Cookie or why she can do these things. But you told me she's spoken of the Vanilla Kingdom in visions. Perhaps if we keep looking, we'll find-"

"We've searched the whole city and found nothing but ruins," Wizard Cookie said morosely. "Hasn't it dawned on you, that...the Vanilla Kingdom does not exist anymore?"

Even Strawberry Cookie seemed to side with the others. "It's only a memory now..."

"I guess I can say goodbye to that pile of treasures, then..." Chili Pepper Cookie complained.

"So that's it, then?" Healer Cookie said. "You're going to end a little girl's life because of something that's out of her control?"

Wizard Cookie was on the verge of tears. "I didn't come this far just to look at devastation..."

Healer Cookie feared the worst, but Custard Cookie III spoke up in his defense, in his own way. "Aw, cheer up everyone!" he urged. "Once I am crowned king, then I will do everything to restore this kingdom to its former glory! THEN we'll be able to get some answers about Meringue Cookie!"

"Yeah...YEAH!" GingerBrave nodded, also stepping up. "Let's hurry and get to Dark Enchantress Cookie! Let's not worry about Meringue Cookie right now, you guys. Let her sleep. She's had a rough time."

The rest of the group exchanged uneasy looks, but no one could argue that Meringue Cookie was a threat, at least not right now. So, they nodded amongst themselves, making Healer Cookie breathe a sigh of relief.

As the group continued to walk, Healer Cookie paced beside GingerBrave. "Thank you for speaking up for me," he thanked the bold leader. "I wasn't sure if anyone would."

"Hey, if there's one thing I understand, it's bravery," GingerBrave replied. "That explosion of light was super-scary, and you jumped right in to help her calm down anyway. I can admire that."