Chapter 15: Bête Blanc

Meringue Cookie and her friends were walking down an almond-tile road, a sign that they were close by. "We made it!" Meringue Cookie was practically flying down the road, the clink of her footsteps against the tile so satisfying to her. 'We're here, come on!"

Red Velvet Cookie led the charge, gesturing to the city below "My friends," he said proudly. "I present to you, the Magical City, Parfae-!"

He stopped mid-sentence when he saw the city itself. His expression dropped when he saw it almost in ruins. "...Oh no."

"What's going on?" Meringue Cookie joined his side. "What do you see?"

Then she felt the heatwave of remnant flames, still charring what was left of the city. Her face melted from happiness into horror. "No...no, no, NO! What happened?!"

"The city's been completely trashed..." Pastry Cookie was also shocked. "What on Earthbread could've caused this?"

"...Dark Enchantress Cookie," Red Velvet Cookie growled. "She must've known we were coming."

"This is horrible..." Black Raisin Cookie said. "But we have to move on."

"Move on to WHERE?" Pastry Cookie whirled around to face the village protector. "We were supposed to meet Azura here! What are we going to do??"

Meringue Cookie didn't want to give up; not here. "But we...we have to find the Magical Commission!"

"Meringue Cookie, stop!" Pastry Cookie blocked her path. "We don't even know if the Magical Commission's still..." she struggled to fight the right word. "...around."

"I KNOW you had your heart set on seeking their help, but...there are other Cookies we can reach out to," Black Raisin Cookie assured her.

Meringue Cookie, admittedly, couldn't find a reason to argue with that. It made her think back to when times were a little less...bleak. "You know...my father always said something in dire situations like this."

"Give up?" Pastry Cookie answered faintly.

Meringue Cookie stiffened, affronted by the response. "Sorry??"

"Perhaps your father wasn't a real fighter when the chips were down," she glared at her.

"Pastry Cookie, please..." Red Velvet Cookie muttered, not wanting a fight to break out.

"And what do YOU know what a leader looks like?" Black Raisin Cookie stood up in Meringue Cookie's defense. "You've been a mindless follower to a lying cause your whole life!"

"You..." Pastry Cookie hissed. "You have a LOT of nerve standing up for someone's leadership, seeing how you LEFT your fellow villagers to die."

"As *I* recall, YOU and your Order were the ones who attacked us and forced me to run in the first place! Moreover, YOU got us all cozied up to Banbury Cookie!"

"Admit it: you ran away...maybe you should STAY away!"

"Everyone, please, STOP!" Red Velvet Cookie broke up the fight. "I understand your frustration...you're all brave Cookies who don't know how to react to being scared."

"Sorry, Red Velvet Cookie..." Black Raisin Cookie stared daggers at him. "I guess I don't know what it's like to be a cowardly follower."

"Why don't you just leave him alone?!" Pastry Cookie had her hand on her fork now. "Just drift off by yourself...Miss Lone Wolf."

"Fine!"

Black Raisin Cookie turned around to leave, but Red Velvet Cookie blocked her path. "No, don't! We have to stay together!"