Chapter 12: Azalea

Since leaving the the catacombs of Tea Leaf Knights, Meringue Cookie and her group had lost the trail to the Crimson Badlands on the first night. They had been lost in Earthbread's wilderness ever since. Due to the lack of any streams since the one near the tombs, they'd been eating things even the Cakes didn't want. Meringue Cookie wasn't sure how much longer this could go on.

One night, the three were curled up around the campfire, trying to warm themselves. The atmosphere was tense and the night was silent. Meringue Cookie only looked soundlessly at the sky, wondering if her faithful wishmakers were out there. "Red Velvet Cookie...are the stars out, tonight?"

Red Velvet Cookie casually flicked his head towards the sky. "They are. Why do you need to know?"

"It's nothing. Just that...a very long time ago, I was told the stars had the power to grant wishes, but only if I saved them for the right thing. Considering our current situation...I'm wondering if the time to use those wishes is drawing nearer."

"Hmph! A story for small-minded children," Pastry Cookie huffed. "The stars are not wishgranters."

"Oh?" Red Velvet Cookie said indecorously. "Then what ARE they for, o' wise Nun of the St. Pastry Order?"

"I'm NOT a Nun!" Pastry Cookie insisted, her head held high. "And for your information, those stars are a barrier created by the Witches, set to protect us from outside threats."

"That sounds asinine..." Red Velvet Cookie rolled his eyes. "And all this time, you could've fooled me. So if you're not a Nun...what are you?"

Her head hung a little. "I'm...the church vagrant."

"Church what?" Meringue Cookie tilted her head, now invested in the conversation. "What's that?"

"It means that she's worth less than their cleaning lady," Red Velvet Cookie explained, though he sounded more sympathetic than sour now. "She's been confined to the church's walls unless her Head Nun says otherwise."

"But that's not fair!" Meringue Cookie protested. "What did you do to deserve that?"

Pastry Cookie looked away. "I don't have to explain myself to a beast," she growled.

Meringue Cookie figured she wasn't going to get anything out of Pastry Cookie, so she changed the subject, stroking Chiffon, who lay down next to her. "...Say, Red Velvet Cookie, where did you find this little guy?"

"I didn't, really," Red Velvet Cookie admitted. "When my master first brought me to the Crimson Badlands, Chiffon found me. He was just a puppy, then, but...I knew it would be better for both of us to let him live,"

"Let him live? What do you mean?"

Red Velvet Cookie's lack of an answer told Meringue Cookie it was best to leave it at that. "Not something you want to talk about...right."

"I will be honest with you, Meringue Cookie," Red Velvet Cookie admitted. "There's a lot of things about me you're better off not knowing. It might not make sense now, but when the time comes, you will understand."

Not noticing that Pastry Cookie had overheard that statement, Meringue Cookie shrugged her shoulders. "O...kay? I'm gonna get some sleep."

As soon as Meringue Cookie faced away from the fire and laid down, Pastry Cookie's voice softened a bit when she glanced at Red Velvet Cookie. "In truth...my repeated failure to uphold our cause is only deserving of my rank in the Order. It's only because of Sister Banbury Cookie's insistence that I was allowed on this hunt."

"Reverend Mother's heir to Head Nun..." Red Velvet Cookie recognized the name. "Why does she care so much if you were involved or not?"

"She...was the only Sister in the Order who looked out for me after the results of my assessment. That's what we do,"