Chapter 16: When Magic Falls

Meringue Cookie sat atop a boulder, letting the evening breeze blow through her hair. It could very well be the last caress of the wind she would ever feel, if the spell went wrong. She knew Azalea Cookie had to know what she was doing, but something deep down didn't feel right.

"Meringue Cookie?"

The young Cookie turned her head towards the sound of Red Velvet Cookie's voice. He clambered up next to her. "The ritual's going to start as soon as Pastry Cookie gets back...I was sent to find you."

"Oh...sorry. Just wanted to get some fresh air,"

"A lot on your mind?"

"Not really...I have a duty to fulfill and then I can go home and leave it to the Good Witch...simple as that."

Red Velvet Cookie frowned, sensing that something was bothering her. "And you're just OKAY with letting Azura take the Sugar Flare?"

"The Sugar Flare's dangerous, Red Velvet Cookie...out of control," Meringue Cookie picked at the floor. "I HAVE to let Azalea Cook--I mean...Azura--take it. She'll have better luck using it to stop her sisters."

"Hmph...and why does SHE get a say in how to use YOUR power?" Red Velvet Cookie scoffed. "Good Witch or not, I still don't think it's fair of her to take it from you."

Meringue Cookie didn't say anything back. After a moment of silence, Red Velvet Cookie opened up. "When I first got my arm, it was...quite destructive. And it made me quite top-heavy, haha..." he chuckled. "...I almost took out Dark Enchantress Cookie's castle."

"...You did?"

"Indeed, little friend. One time, she and I had a TERRIBLE fight,"

"Over what?"

Meringue Cookie suddenly felt a tap on her forehead, realizing Red Velvet Cookie was talking about her. Her mouth opened slightly in surprise as he continued. "She always claimed that she had abandoned her past, but...deep down, I knew she would never forget that you were her first child. When she saved me and raised me on her beliefs, I almost felt like her son...her family. But, no matter how perfect I was, her attention always fell back to her troubled firstborn. I was first place in everything else...but never that. And to be honest...I resented you for that."

"Then...why help me?"

"Because that's when I saw the kind of Cookie you were firsthand, Meringue Cookie. When you freed Chiffon from that trap, I instantly knew you understood me. You earned your place above me long before I even met you. You were different, and...to treat you badly because of that would've made me a hypocrite. And Red Velvet Cookie is NO hypocrite."

Despite his encouragement, Meringue Cookie still didn't see why he was suggesting she kept her power. "But...the Sugar Flare makes me a monster."

"Cookies have all kinds of textures to them," he told her. "And some textures are...messy. The point isn't to push the bad stuff away, it's to make room for it...live with it."

When Meringue Cookie didn't answer, Red Velvet Cookie stood up. "Relinquish it to Azura if you think it's the right thing to do, but...that side of you I saw in the cave? I felt like I was looking at the bravest Cookie on Earthbread...the only one who'd given me a taste of hope."

Just then, Meringue Cookie heard Pastry Cookie's footsteps approach and turn the corner, catching the two Cookies in the midst of their conversation. She was breathing heavy, but sounded determined all the same. "...It's time."

Meringue Cookie followed Red Velvet Cookie and Pastry Cookie to a circle with a straight line drawn in the center of it. Azalea Cookie turned towards them expectantly. "Ah, there you are," she said, taking Meringue Cookie's hand and guiding her to the middle of the circle. "Just follow my directions and keep breathing," she instructed. "Now, once you're in the middle of the circle, don't move. When you hear the spell, focus on my voice. Let it guide you. Once you're on the astral plane, go through the door on the other side and the Sugar Flare will be left behind."